Menu
What do you think of Google copyright infringement?
Nov 20, 2009 03:06
  • KATRINA
Google has built a digital library to allow users to read millions of books online. The search giant says that anyone at anytime in the future can read millions of e-books online for free. Sounds good, isn’t? But Google isn’t stupid. Building such a digital library spends a lot of money and Google must have a way to earn more. Google admits that it can earn benefits from selling advertisements.

How can Google to get so many books? Just scan any book written by any writer. Actually, Google has offended many writers in the world. In US, Google has offered a settlement to the writers---“authors who accept Google's scan could get 60 U.S. dollars per book as compensation, as well as 63 percent of the income from online reading. Readers of the books online would pay a fee for digital access to the book.”

According to the settlement, if the author rejects Google's right to scan, he or she should appeal before Jan 5, 2010. Authors should approach Google authorizing the scanning and get the compensation before June 5, 2010.

However, Chinese writers don’t accept this settlement. Currently, Google is discussing with China Written Works Copyright Society, hoping they can reach an agreement on this issue.

How do you view Google copyright infringement?
Nov 22, 2009 21:47
  • CHERRY07
Google's intention is very good but Google did this in a wrong way. If you are going to use somebody's books, you should get his/her permission first. Using other people's books without admission is "infringement".
Nov 25, 2009 21:50
  • JIMMYB
Well, if I was a writer, I would accept Google's offer. At least, Google has paid me 60 dollars. Those who sell pirated books never pay me money. China Written Works Copyright Society should spend more time coping with copyright piracy issue in China, especially online pirated e-books.
Nov 26, 2009 22:07
  • SHESGOTTOBE
First time I've heard of this. Are you talking about Google Books? Google Books is a database of books but they are not complete books. They are just previews, just a few pages of the books are shown online. It's more like to give you a sample of the contents of the books.
Last edited by SHESGOTTOBE: Nov 26, 2009 22:12
Nov 29, 2009 01:15
  • JIMMYB
Yes, SHEGOTTOBE. I just thought that some people overreacted to Google.
Post a Reply to: What do you think of Google copyright infringement?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code