Menu
Roundtrip Shanghai-Suzhou-Zhouzhuang-Shanghai
Nov 28, 2009 16:15
  • VANMARB
We (my wife and myself) are planning to visit China during May next year. Towards the end of our visit we will stay several days in Shanghai.
We would like to make a day trip to visit Suzhou and Zhouzhuang on the way back to Shanghai.
Is it possible to visit both towns during a one day roundtrip leaving Shanghai early in the morning and returning late?
If possible at all what would be the best way to travel? I guess that the train will be the fastest and safest way but am not sure.
Any recommendations you can provide are welcome.
Thanks
Bernard
Nov 29, 2009 00:25
  • TONY248
shanghai to suzhou by train:there are many trains. if by HEXIEHAO,only need 30mins around.

suzhou to zhouzhuang by bus: around 1 and forty mins.
Dec 1, 2009 03:52
GUEST17126 I think it will be very hurried unless you book a tour or hire a car with driver. Personally I didn't like Zhouzhuang, it is a tourist trap and yes, has picturesque bridges and houses but they are difficult to see through the tour groups! Suzhou I really liked, there are canals there too with old buildings in addition to the wonderful gardens. I spent several days in Suzhou there are so many things to see , the gardens (they are really worth visiting and you don't want to do it in a hurry), the old town with old temples and the Tiger Hill. It took more than an hour to go by bus from Suzhou to Zhouzhuang and the "countryside" between the towns is mostly new developments and factories.
Dec 21, 2009 03:57
  • ELLYSE
Ouch, trying to see Suzhou AND a water village in a daytrip from Shanghai... this is something only package tour groups would do! Since you have the luxury of travelling on your own, don't make the mistake of trying to see too much but end up experiencing too little.
Personally I'm not a fan of Suzhou (too many touts, and admission fees everywhere) and Zhouzhuang (overly touristy and crowded). However if you really want, I would recommend 1-1.5 days for Suzhou, and substitute Tongli for Zhouzhuang on another day. There's a pretty guesthouse in Tongli if you could afford the time to stay overnight and see the place after all the daytrippers have gone home.
"Best" is subjective. If you have the money to splurge then hiring a vehicle and driver would be best since your timing could be flexible.
If you've any more queries, email to yahoo.com|ellyse99 and put "TravelChinaGuide" and your own username (eg VANMARB) in the subject line.
Jan 6, 2010 08:46
  • VANMARB
Ellyse,
Thank you very much for your most valued reply - I will certainly keep your suggestions in mind when planning our trip and I hope to come back to you with further questions as soon as I am back home. We are now travelling and therefore my response to your message is a bit delayed.
Thanks
Bernard
Jan 6, 2010 10:17
  • ELLYSE
No worries, enjoy your trip and I'll hear from you later. :)
Jan 6, 2010 23:30
  • SUSAN205060
Hi,

I suggest you to visit Tongli instead of zhouzhuang.

Personally i think tongli is more natural compared with zhouzhuang(commercial town now).

Enjoy!

Yours sincerely,
Susan(China guide)

MSN:hotmail.com|Susan205060

Post a Reply to: Roundtrip Shanghai-Suzhou-Zhouzhuang-Shanghai
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code