Menu
need to take a sleeping bag?
Dec 9, 2009 13:41
  • HAYDN
nimen hao.
my girlfriend and i are spending some time travelling through southern china (guandong, guizhou, sichuan, zheijiang) in january. we'll be staying in smaller, budget hotels/guesthouses, but not camping. eleanor wants to take a sleeping bag. i don't think it'll be necessary, as we might be cycling a bit so need to keep our baggage down.
what do you think?
i lived in prc 20 years ago. was teaching english in shandong. can't wait to return!!!!!!!
also... has anyone else had difficulties locating places in china on google earth? i have. the places it throws up are not where i remember. is it a 'china thing? or my failing memory?!!!
xie xie
:-)
Dec 9, 2009 23:36
  • TONY248
I think it's no need to take a sleeping bag.

you have been in china 20years ago,so this time you will find big changes happened in china.

Dec 10, 2009 01:23
  • HAYDN
thanks for your reply tony.
you're surely right about the changes!
for this reason i really don't have the heart to go to Beijing... the loss of so much of the local heritage is a great shame in my opinion. i wonder if Liu Bi Jiu (an amazing pickle shop!!!) still exists? and as a great lover of bicycles, i don't fancy the domination of the car.
on a brighter note, i'll love getting into the countryside and spending time chatting with locals, sharing a tea and watching life.
man man zuo!
haydn
Dec 11, 2009 11:27
  • JABAROOTOO
Well you can still enjoy the slower pace of the countryside and despite being a bit cold and probably misty in some of the areas you will be visiting you definitely will not need a sleeping bag. A sleeping sheet might come in handy if you end up staying in homestay, farmhouses, and some hostels but to be honest I have seldom used mine although I carry it with me. It is more useful in summer as a top sheet is seldom provided so the doona is often too hot.

Enjoy you trip. these southern provinces offer a lot of real gems.
Dec 20, 2009 13:46
  • ELLYSE
Personally I think unless you'll be going somewhere extremely off-the-beaten-path you shouldn't need sleeping bags at all.
Dec 20, 2009 21:57
  • DUDU
It's useless to take sleeping bags.
In January, except Guangdong, other three provinces are quite cold.
Have a good trip!
Dec 26, 2009 15:48
  • HAYDN
xie xie!
a little cold is ok, it's 'leng si le!' that eleanor's worried about. (but it's not shandong i guess.)
here right now each few days are swinging between a baking 40 degrees and mist and rain! (as confusing and emphatic as dudu's advice)
only a few more sleeps 'till we go!!
zhen bang!!!!!

Dec 26, 2009 15:56
  • ELLYSE
Most places should have the heating option on the aircon. Otherwise, ask for extra blankets.
Post a Reply to: need to take a sleeping bag?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code