Menu
Merry Christmas from Finland
Dec 24, 2009 06:32
  • CARLOS
Very merry Christmas to TCG personal, members and guests, where ever you are!

webcam from Santas village on the arctic circle in Rovaniemi Finland

http://www.santaclaus.fi/?deptid=11779

Carlos

Dec 24, 2009 17:26
  • DODGER
Merry Xmas to you and your's Carlos from the Dodgers.
Dec 24, 2009 23:03
  • HERBEAT
Merry Christmas~~~
Dec 25, 2009 00:04
  • JIMMYB
Thank you, Santa Carlos. Do you prepare some gifts for us?
Dec 25, 2009 04:16
  • CARLOS
Jimmy,

although there might be some look alike, I am not even related to Santa Claus, sorry.

Anyway, in finnish language there is a word, "lahja". It means "a gift" but can also mean "talent".

We have a joke here: Q: What is a difference between Santa Claus and an engineer? A: Santa has "lahja"...

Carlos
Dec 25, 2009 19:44
  • JIMMYB
Thanks for sharing "lahja" story for us. Well, probably you can teach us some Finnish. I am not good at learning language but I am willing to learn. First, please tell me how to pronounce "lahja".
Dec 27, 2009 06:12
  • CARLOS
Jimmy,

My Lao Po has been here for one and a half years now. Although we speak finnish at home, she don´t understand other people´s finnish.

Pronouncing finnish, we say finnish language is pronounced just as it is written and that seems to be difficult for foreigners.

A good example is how the english word "queue" is pronounced. To a finn it sounds like"kjuu", if it is pronounced "in finnish" it sounds like "kueue".

My Lao Po knows a chinese woman in Wienna, Austria. She has lived there for about two years and speaks and understands germany quite well. Also one woman she knows has lived in Barcelona, Spain for a little over two years, she speaks and understands spanish well.
So perhaps can say that anything else is easier than learning finnish.

Which is a bit odd, because I have been able to speak finnish since I was a kid...

Carlos

Dec 28, 2009 22:09
  • JIMMYB
Carlos, thanks for your explanation. Finnish sounds very complicated and difficult to learn. I just heard that Russian was difficult too. You know, my tongue is clumsy. That's why I don't want to learn Russian.
Post a Reply to: Merry Christmas from Finland
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code