Menu
Christmas in China!
Dec 25, 2009 01:37
  • JIMMYB
Christmas Day in China has changed very much. To young Chinese people, it is not a religious festival anymore. Young people hang out on the streets with their friends. They even wear masks. I am thinking if it is another Halloween.

To myself, I never go out on Christmas Eve because there are too many people on the streets. As a foreigner, what do you think of this phenomenon?

Christmas or Halloween?

Dec 25, 2009 01:39
  • JIMMYB
Dancing?

Dec 25, 2009 04:35
  • CARLOS
I hope some young people will answer here too, because I am afraid my opinions are not from this century...

Anyway, I do feel the business crawls to every tradition like a disease...

In China, Christmas is not a tradition, but the whole China is... perhaps could say... a tradition, full of wonderful traditions...
I feel a little sorry seeing the old traditions slowly deteriorating and new "traditions" pushing old ones aside...

Westernizing, somethings I really am not too proud to be a westerner...

Carlos
Dec 25, 2009 20:56
  • KEVIN0518
You know what I did on Christmas Eve? I just bought some snacks and watched two movies in my dorm. One was Mulan and the other was Where the Wild Things Are. I would stay at home rather than stroll on the streets with a lot of people. On Christmas night, I watched Backstreet Boys live show at O2 arena in London. It is great!

Christmas has totally changed in China. Young guys just find a good opportunity to have fun on Christmas Day. Guys in the photos are very clever. They spent Halloween and Christmas together. Don't forget that there is another special festival, Valentines' Day. The Valentine's Day in 2010 is very special because it falls on the first of the new year according to Chinese lunar calendar. Just be prepared to welcome the Valentine's Day!
Jan 4, 2010 11:37
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Well, Christmas is a Christian festival (and hotly debated for having pagan origins) so I don't even expect that non-Christian countries would celebrate it. Christmas has been so diluted many people these days don't even know why it's being celebrated. My father is an atheist and my mother told him not to accept gifts lest he'd be participating in a Christian ritual.

I'm not sure if China celebrates Holloween. Maybe not, but maybe this is their way of having some sort of 'Holloween' holiday?

Here in America, it is all about shopping, gifts, decors, shopping, gifts, decors, gifts. I'm sick of it.
Last edited by SHESGOTTOBE: Jan 4, 2010 11:40
Jan 6, 2010 01:37
Like Kevin, I didn't hang out either. On Christmas Eve, the streets are swarmed with people. Most are young guys. Walking on the streets with other people is funny? I don't think so.
Jan 8, 2010 09:40
  • LIONPOWER
Last Christmas day I passed in China. From 10-27 December I traveled from Yunan, Guangdong, Hunan, Zhejiang, Jiangsu and Shanghai. Every where I seen glorious enjoyment to make some tropic related to Christmas day. Except Government office, every where this flow. Even small shops also hung a little poster of Santa clues.
Yes, many people don't know what is this?
Jan 8, 2010 20:39
Lion, many people don't know Christmas is to celebrate Jesus Christ's birth. They just entertain themselves on such a festival.
Jan 8, 2010 22:32
  • LIONPOWER
Yes but some people don't know it's festival. For business other people doing, so I need to do too. This is their mind.
Jan 14, 2010 02:02
Businessmen never give up a chance to make money. No matter it is a religious festival or not, they don't care. All they care about is that they can make money on Christmas Day.
Jan 21, 2010 10:14
  • LIONPOWER
yes, you are right.
Post a Reply to: Christmas in China!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code