Menu
Meili Xueshan/Kawagebo China
Jan 10, 2010 20:01
  • ZZZXTREME
anyone knows where the village is (in the attaced photo) ? what I really want is to stay there (or similar vlilages/town) where I can feel i could almost touch the mountain.spending my days lying on the grass, looking at the mountain in awe.

I'm from kuala lumpur, and airasia has direct flights to guilin, chengdu, guangzhou. I have about 1 week off end of march. I'm not sure how to travel there.

any advice/thoughts are greatly appreciated

Jan 11, 2010 00:00
  • ELLYSE
At the end of March I think it'd still be rather cold there!
This is in Yunnan province. If you're flying via AirAsia, it might be easiest to fly to Chengdu. Then a flight Chengdu -- Lijiang, bus Lijiang --Zhongdian, bus (or hire a 4WD and driver) Zhongdian -- Deqin, then again a taxi Deqin -- Meilixueshan.
Jan 11, 2010 00:11
  • ZZZXTREME
thanks ELLYSE ! the travelling seems rather a hassle and expensive! hmmmmm
my 1 week off is kinda a compulsory, and I really really love mountains. spend a few days relaxing, not touristy. I loved huangshan a lot, but would like to try somewhere different. I found out about "Mount Siguniang", about 6 hour bus from chengdu. Do u know anything about it ? thanks again
Jan 11, 2010 00:15
  • ZZZXTREME
or can u recommend mountain for me to visit (mountains where I could stay in few days and as spectacular as huangshan) ? flights via airasia - tianjin-hangzhou-chengdu-guangzhou

any advice/thoughts greatly appreciated
Jan 11, 2010 01:10
  • ELLYSE
Meilixueshan is an excellent choice, really. I've been to Siguniangshan and didn't really like it. Maybe you could consider Jiuzhaigou (http://www.jiuzhai.com) instead?
Otherwise, try flying to Guilin/Guangzhou, then flight/train to Kunming, flight/bus Kunming -- Zhongdian, and continue along the same route to Meilixueshan.
Another choice which I can think of is Taishan (http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1d57/f4495/) in Shandong province. To get there, you might want to consider flying to Tianjin then train Tianjin -- Taishan.
For southeast China, the most likely choice is Wuyishan in Fujian province. For that, fly to Guangzhou then another flight to Wuyishan.
Jan 11, 2010 01:53
GUEST52074 Chengdu to Ermei Shan and Qingchengshan(nearest) are very near. If you have been to HuangShan, I don't think you will like the other Shans. I don't like Ermei at all except for that 1 or 2 hr in the summit and the overnight at the street down before the ticket entrance, but I enjoyed Huangshan.

I went to MeiliSueshan, it's a different experience, you just get the view, not hiking into it, but another mountain(Ming..... Glazier..) nearby you can take the 2 to 3 hrs hike to the top which is very satisfying when you reached it.

You can join a 5 days/4 nights(or a 4 days/3nights, I forgot) from Lijiang which is really cheap and convenient, also shorter time compared to doing on your own, mostly young people because there is a lot of hiking.
We started from Lijing, some hiking in Tiger leaping Gorge, Zhongdian, MeiliSuesan, Ming...Glazier, a large Tibetan Temple, an ancient town and some other stops. All these places are difficult to visit on youir own with public transport.
I found this trip during the night I check into a guesthouse in Lijiang and started the journey the next morning. I guess it's available every day.

FLP
Jan 11, 2010 02:14
  • ELLYSE
That's Mingyong Glacier (not Glazier). That's not a mountain called Mingyong.
Jan 12, 2010 02:38
GUEST56202 Thanks for the correction.

OH.....my Chinese is so bad and yet I like to visit her so much.
Jan 12, 2010 07:47
  • ELLYSE
Heh, no offence, but it's Emeishan not Ermeishan. :)
Jan 5, 2012 15:05
GUEST33196 Jan.5, 2012
That looks like Meileixueshan in the town of Deqin on the border of Tibet and Yunnan. I have been there.It's one of the world's wonders, and as close to Tibet you can get w/o crossing the border. No permit needed to Meilei either. There are guest houses right where this photo was taken, where you can rent a room. The elevation is high.
Fly into Kunming. You can then fly, take a bus or train (10 A.M. for best viewing up the mountain). Buses sway alot, some locals seem to get car sick, tons of hair-pin turns, up and down, up and down for hours. A train is relaxing travel and a good way to slowly acclimate to the high altitude. Stay in the Suhe Hostel or a guest house, just outside of Lijiang. Lijiang is overbuilt & crowded, no longer good. One day up to Meili through Zhongdian(Now renamed Shangrila.) I think Zhongdian may now have an airport. Zhongdian hugh Temple complex worth visiting. I think you can fly back down to Kunming. Happy wandering!
Post a Reply to: Meili Xueshan/Kawagebo China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code