Menu
Why do the Chinese visa requirements differ from country to country?
Jan 17, 2010 03:18
  • PYGRANT
I applied for my first Chinese visa in the US in 2007, got a one year multiple entry. I am now in Korea, found that the Chinese Embassy in Korea does not take individual applications (have to go through a travel agency) and will only issue a 6 month double entry visa. I finally mailed my passport to a visa agency in the US which will be able to get me a multiple entry 24 month visa (I'm the spoouse of a Chinese citizen) which will allow a 60 day maximum stay when I enter. Also, I was aware that Americans paid a single fixed amount for any visa acquired (more than the rest of the world, except Roumanians). Why do Roumanians have to pay more than anyone else (even Americans). Very confusing and with no apparent rhyme or reason.
Jan 19, 2010 09:56
  • APAULT
It is hard to answer your questions. The Chinese seem to have a general preference for people applying from their own country or country of residence. I suspect a variety of reasons but especially some consulates are more professional and better equipped to deal with applications; there is a suspicion of applicants applying outside their own country; where they do want to make security checks it is easier in a person's own country; and history.

The visa fee arrangement for US citizens is related to the way China perceeives its citizens are handled by the USA when applying for visas.

I once found myself caught out overseas and like you sent my passport by courier to my home country and had the application processed by an agent.

As for the Romanians, I am surprised, ex 'communist countries' are mostly given favourable treatrment.
Jan 20, 2010 05:08
  • BEAR1DR
because they can.

i am in nyc, usa. first time i apply for a visa i tried to get a 12 months multiple entry visa. DENIED. was given a 2 entry 6 months visa (oct 2009). i now reapply for the same multiple entry 12 months visa and was granted the visa (jan 2010)

i guess they just want to know that you are serious in entering the country and not just have you passport stamped with a visa because you want to.
Mar 14, 2010 23:09
GUEST17197 I have been asking the same question and tried to find the reasoning behind the different visa fees.

Just a thought: maybe China matches the visa fee that the USA is charging Chinese citizens who come here, for whatever class of visa they apply.

Another thing I don't quite understand: why can't an American citizen who is married to a Chinese citizen get a visa for a longer period? On their Washington DC site I noticed that the Chinese embassy offered a two year visa for such persons. I printed the page and showed it to the clerk at the Los Angeles Chinese consulate when I applied for my latest visa, but she rejected it, saying that the best I could get was a 1 year visa. I am puzzled.
Dec 7, 2010 23:24
  • PYGRANT
In my initial posting, I noted that I got such a visa (the passport agency I used was in Texas, so it was processed by whatever Chinese embassy serves Texas). It is possible, I just had to send a copy of my (Chinese) marriage license - we haven't yet married in the US, but will probably have a ceremony there also.
Post a Reply to: Why do the Chinese visa requirements differ from country to country?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code