Menu
Hot Springs in China \ avoiding foreign traps
Jan 21, 2010 12:29
  • BWINKS
Hi,

I will soon be visiting both China and Japan. I know that there are many hot springs in japan due to its geographic location, but are their any in china (specifically near Shanghai).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Also, as a lone skinny american exchange student, what areas of the city should i try avoiding during my stay in shanghai and Bejing? I really want to see the nightlife and experience as much as i can of the city... but am a bit fearful of the foreigner-"traps".

While i am aiming at meeting as many friends as possible; in the worst case senario that i fail at making any (lol): how can i enjoy seeing inner shanghai/bejing while being safe?

thanks
Jan 21, 2010 13:40
  • ELLYSE
Just don't follow any people who come up and talk to you in English on Nanjing Lu pedestrian street, around People's Square, or in any touristy places. Who cares if they're pretty young Chinese girls -- sorry, it's THEM who's going to get lucky, not you!
For hot springs near Shanghai, consider going to Nanjing.
Also, you might like to join the CouchSurfing network and see if there's anyone who'd like to meet up when you come.
Which university would you be doing exchange at?
Jan 21, 2010 15:09
  • BWINKS
ELLYSE,

thanks so much for the help!

What on earth is the CouchSurfing network?

Tongji University, Siping Campus, is where i will be. While i know one chinese friend who will be helping me get from the airport to my dorm (wish i could have more independant housing ohh well ), she wont be around for long (she is at Jading campus) so i will be on my own.

~Yah i heard a lot about shanghai women con-ing foreigners into buying them $10 coffee's and gold digging relationships... didn't think they were part of the average $1k foreign-trap though.

Jan 21, 2010 16:16
  • ELLYSE
You‘ll be pretty near where I'm staying. I'm at Fudan University and I stay on campus. You're perhaps about 30 mins by bicycle from where I am.
Here's the Shanghai group CouchSurfing website: http://www.couchsurfing.org/group.html?gid=1233
You'll need to sign up for an account in order to post messages or whatever, but I don't know if you'll need to sign up to read. Well, signing up isn't a bad idea, and if you'd like to make more friends, filling out your profile would be helpful -- personally I don't like chatting up complete strangers.
Jan 21, 2010 20:54
  • BWINKS
Awesome! ~ So how come i can't find any couches or people wanting to meet up on the map? ...I'm probably doing something wrong...

Jan 23, 2010 04:17
  • ELLYSE
Have you joined up for the Shanghai group on CouchSurfing? Read what the other posts are like to get a "feel" of the group, then post an intro of sorts and ask if anyone would like to be friends when you move to Shanghai, etc etc etc. :) That should help.
On the map? CouchSearch, you mean? Are you perhaps being too specific?
Post a Reply to: Hot Springs in China \ avoiding foreign traps
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code