Menu
Cycling in Chengdu, KunMing and Xi'An
Jan 21, 2010 22:54
  • LAWCCH
Hi, every body

I plan to do some cycling in Chengdu, Kunming and Xi' An city.
My questions are:

1) Is there any possibility to bring my own mountain bike to public transport such as long-distance buses, train and airplane? How much does one transporter company charge for one bike as cargo?

2) Is there any mountain bike rental in those cities and how much does one charge to rent the bike a day? Or maybe it is cheaper to use own brought bike to bike from my own home country?
3) Is there any dangers or annoyances if one tourist cycle around those cities?
4) Where can I visit places of interest if I use the bike to travel around the cities?
For those who have experience bicycling in China, please share some tips about your cycling adventure.
Regard, Lawrence (Malaysia)
Jan 22, 2010 22:07
  • ELLYSE
1) Might be possible on train and long-distance bus, but it would be rather difficult and the long-distance bus driver might ask you to pay extra for the "cargo". On plane I suspect it wouldn't be possible unless your bike is dismantled or foldable. You could consider sending the bike by courier delivery but I'm not sure how much the price would be.
2) Mountain bikes not necessarily, but I'm sure you should be able to find bike rental at some hostels. Rental is usually not expensive and should be cheaper than bringing your own, but quality of your own bike might be better.
3) Just make sure you have enough locks so that the bike doesn't get stolen!
There's an "On Your Bike" (or some name like that) forum on the Lonely Planet ThornTree, for cycling. You might want to ask for help there as well.
Jan 25, 2010 19:27
GUEST18063 I like rid bike test
Post a Reply to: Cycling in Chengdu, KunMing and Xi'An
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code