Menu
Shenzhen-Shanghai by train!
Jan 30, 2010 07:28
  • ZANETKA666
I'm landing at Shenzhen airport 29th Mar at 10.50pm and have an international flight from Shanghai Pudong airport 31st March.

Would it be risky to take the train T212 (only one a day!) leaving Shenzhen at 1.28pm (30th) and reaching Shanghai South at 6.58am (31st)? I read that it takes around 1,5h to get to Pudong airport from there..

Or should I better catch the first train at 6.15am from Shenzhen to GUANGZHOU EAST (7.33am) and then another one at 9am from GUANGZHOU MAIN TRAIN STATION to Shanghai South (5.38am)? I would choose that option but because of short time for transfer between train stations in GZ, I'm worried that will not be able to buy a ticket to SH... Can I do that somehow in andvance and pick up at the train station? (hard seater)

Please don't advise me flight ticket because I'm really short of money:/

Thanks!
Jan 31, 2010 01:57
  • ELLYSE
If you're dead set on going by train, I would prefer the direct route from Shenzhen.
Actually, if you get a good discount on the flight, it would only be about 100 RMB more than the hard sleeper ticket, including taxes.
Jan 31, 2010 03:43
GUESTZANETKA666 thanks for reply!

do you think it's likely that direct train from shenzhen would be delayed for more than 1h?

i've already checked flight tickets (elong&ctrip) and the cheapest one is for 660Y;/
Jan 31, 2010 07:33
  • ELLYSE
No, trains are usually rather punctual as a rule.
Be warned that airport shuttle no.7 leaves every half an hour from Shanghai South train station. The 1st departure is at 0650 which's too early for you to catch, but the 0720 departure should be ok.
Alternatively, if you want help with cheaper flight tickets, email me at yahoo.com|ellyse99 -- put "TravelChinaGuide" and your own username (eg ZANETKA666) in the subject line.
Feb 1, 2010 05:08
  • ZANETKA666
I've decided to take a risk and try the direct train option Shenzhen-Shanghai unless any flight special deals occur in meanwhile.

Do you think taking a bus from the train station to the airport would be faster then combination metro-maglev?
Feb 1, 2010 05:57
  • ELLYSE
Special deals? Well, I did already tell you that the flight would only cost 100 RMB more than soft sleeper on the train. If I didn't have those prices (lower than what you found for yourself) then I wouldn't be saying that, would I?
How much luggage would you have? There's usually a lack of escalators at metro stops. Airport shuttle no.5 should take about 1+ hour to get to Pudong airport from the South train station. It will already take about 50 mins to go from the South train station to Longyang Lu Maglev terminus by metro, and that's assuming that you walk reasonably fast (through the rush hour crowds, no less) and don't lose your way at the People's Square interchange going from line 1 to line 2. Maglev at that early hour would take about 10 mins... even if you do like clockwork it's not going to be much faster than the shuttle bus.
Feb 1, 2010 10:24
  • LIONPOWER
ZANETKA666,
If you have previous experience about China Train and Bus journey, may be you can over cum your problem journey by Train from Shenzhen to Shanghai, otherwise, Flight is only one option.
Feb 1, 2010 21:21
  • ZANETKA666
ELLYSE thanks a lot for explanation!

I'll go for Shenzhen-Shanghai train and airport shuttle bus.

Cheers!
Feb 2, 2010 05:39
  • ELLYSE
If you can't find the airport shuttle soon after you get off the train (say within 20 mins or so) start heading for a taxi!
Post a Reply to: Shenzhen-Shanghai by train!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code