Menu
Working on F-visa, Advice requested.
Feb 5, 2010 09:44
  • PAUL_F
I was offered a job, in ShanDong China, teaching/coaching fencing towards the back end of November. After waiting it seems the employer is having trouble getting the permit needed for me to get a z-type visa, they think they will not get one. They are saying that its because they are only a city level school not a province level, which makes it harder for them to employ a foreign coach. So as a work around they are saying that they will get the paperwork needed for me to get a F-type business visa instead.

Can anyone advise on whether this is a suitable work around or if there is any other way? I think the school probably has not tried employing a foreigner before so its possible that they are inexperienced with dealing with the relevant government office.
Cheers
Paul
Feb 5, 2010 09:46
  • PAUL_F
Oh I should add I am a UK citizen and currently living in the UK.
Feb 6, 2010 05:25
  • GAFFER
An F visa is not a working visa. It is used for business people visiting China. It is illegal to work on an F visa, (however, that does not seem to stop it happening). Prospective employers have to be registered to employ foreigners and then can only employ foreigners with "Special Skills". This basically means skills which are not available in China (such as native English speaking teachers). Fencing may be treated as a Special Skill but obviously an Asian martial art would not be.
Feb 13, 2010 05:14
  • APAULT
I agree entirely with Gaffer. I have worked on an F visa with the full knowledge of the local PSB Exit and Entry office.... my boss had established the right connections. You may 'work' in China on a F visa if you are employed overseas (or if the local business is financed from overseas) ...so if you are contracted from overseas and paid overseas that's fine, but to be honest few employers bother with setting this up with you, or would even understand the idea : they just pay you off the record and as a study showed that business mostly pays only 10% of the tax it is liable for, this should not be difficult.

Another workaround is if your employer finds an organisation accredited to employ foreigners (a sports uni??) and they sign a contract with you. In practice, you deal only with your employer and your employer pays you direct. I have also been in this situation.
Feb 19, 2010 20:16
  • SMILE1212
if you are working in china ,you'd better apply for a work visa,as F visa is business visa .
Feb 20, 2010 06:08
  • ESLWEARY
I'm curious, how did you line up a job as a fencing teacher?
Feb 23, 2010 02:47
  • PAUL_F
A Chinese friend wrote to a few fencing schools on my behalf.
Mar 20, 2010 10:55
  • PAUL_F
In the Uk I run a small business providing fencing lessons either privately or in schools. So I guess what I am wondering whats the situation if the Chinese fencing school makes a "consultency" contract with my "company".
I have read up about the f visa, it does mention sports under it, presumably this means for sports performers. So wouldn't it be legit if the school hired me as a sports performer?
Mar 7, 2013 19:48
GUEST62179 If you are a company that has an employee whom you wish to work on a project for a client whos in turn client is in china can you work on a business visa?
Mar 7, 2013 20:42
GUESTJEFF
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST62179

If you are a company that has an employee whom you wish to work on a project for a client whos in turn client is in china can you work on a business visa?

This will be ok, but you need to provide an invitation letter from China for application.
Feb 16, 2016 02:49
GUESTFAAL Hello,

I'm finishing my master degree in Shanghai and a Chinese company offering me a position. My student visa will expiry in April 2016 and I should be graduated in July 2016. Now the Chinese company wanna apply for me the work permit.
My question is : Is it possible to get the work permit while finishing my studies ( writing my final thesis) ??

Post a Reply to: Working on F-visa, Advice requested.
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code