Menu
Traveling in China without Outgoing Flight Booked - Need Advice Please
Feb 8, 2010 12:40
guest10107 Hi,

I will be traveling to China soon, I am going to Japan first and will then be catching a Ferry to Shanghai. I have apllied for a visa and will be receiving that soon.

However I do not have a return flight booked as I will be traveling around until my money runs out, at which point I will book a flight and fly home.

Someone told me that the Chinese authorities can sometimes not like it if a traveler does not have evidence that they intend to leave the country.

Has anyone else been in this situation, or does anyone have any advice?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks
Jon
Feb 11, 2010 11:11
  • GLOMAC
Most probably you will be asked to show a return ticket when you are getting into ferry to shanghai.. Or may be you'll be asked when you arrive in shanghai.. the chances are more.. I have seen many cases when the immigration officers asks the return ticket.
In case if luck favors then you are in ..
Advices ...
There are some chinese online ticketing websites with cheap cancellation fee.. around 130-200 RMB.You can book one and cancel later..
There are some travel agents who issue the fake flight tickets(thats a printed itinerary but not original)
I have seen lots of chinese using these flight tikcets to enter Hong Kong and Macau
Feb 15, 2010 12:46
  • GUTS118
Hi,

Glomac, thankyou for that post, I was hoping you could give me a few more details about the websites cheap cancellation fees. Are these usually for train, airplane or ferry tickets? Do you know of any specific websites?

Also, do you know about leaving china via land and crossing into another country. If I told the immigration officers that I will not be flying out of the country, what would they say?

any advice is appreciated
Thanks
Feb 16, 2010 21:49
  • ELLYSE
This is an urban myth. Airlines are the one concerned about this, not Chinese immigration. Airlines are afraid that they have to bear the cost of flying you back to where you came from, should you be denied entry into China for whatever reason. That's all.
Feb 18, 2010 14:27
  • GLOMAC
I can't understand how airlines are responsible but not the Chinese immigration..
I was told by my friend that he once flew to Singapore without the return ticket .. due to some visa related problems he was denied to enter the country..And when the immigration officials asked him to show his return ticket he told he don't have .. Then he was told that the Singapore immigration will pay the return ticket and send him back in the next flight back to Macau (Not is the same airline as he flew by jetstar airlines and returned by tiger airways )
Feb 18, 2010 23:47
  • ELLYSE
Well, I've also arrived without proof of onward ticket in China (Shanghai), Germany (Frankfurt), Japan (Tokyo), Hong Kong and Thailand (Bangkok) so far. No problems whatsoever.
Post a Reply to: Traveling in China without Outgoing Flight Booked - Need Advice Please
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code