Menu
Yangtze Cruise
Feb 17, 2010 02:07
  • BIGR00STER
Hi Members,

Any recommendation on which crusie to take on March 17th, and how much per pax?

Cheers
Feb 17, 2010 05:42
  • ELLYSE
My recommendation is as always: don't bother taking the cruise!
Feb 19, 2010 22:08
  • CROSIS
A cruise can be fun. Frustrating as you sail past all the features you want to stop at, but if it is your first time what the hell. We sailed the first time on a boat I think was called the princess elaine. Nice but the cabins were tiny. One look at our booked space and we upgraded to one of the six suites on top which had a separate lounge/bathroom and kitchen area as well. This was only around US800 extra so for 5 nights was Ok.

However if traveling alone or a frequent chinese traveler use the ferry and just go from place to place you want to see. My ideal would be to charter a boat and just explore some of the tributaries too.

Attached is a low res version of a photo I have used in my new book 'Having Fun in China - The travels of a couch potato and his cutie pie' that has just been printed and is being published this month.

Feb 23, 2010 19:00
  • ELLYSE
"only around US800 extra" --> ONLY?!?!?!
Feb 25, 2010 19:10
  • CROSIS
Er yes, only... <g>

Having a couple of rooms to ourselves and a lounge to relax in was good. It also meant I could spread out my computer safely and get some work done too. Reality is we spend more time in the bar where my 10 year old (at that time) and I got Mandarin lessons from Ashley, who worked there.

I would do the cruise again just to say hi to Ashley. She was one of the most pleasant and helpful people I have ever met in China. And that is saying something when everyone is so friendly and helpful.

Seriously though Ellyse, I do understand what you mean about the cruise and costs and I think your advice is valid. However for first timers in China, especially older travellers the cruise can be a great experience.

PS Thank you for all your advice in the forums. It was much of your advice we used when planning our first trip.
Feb 28, 2010 15:17
  • ELLYSE
Sorry, but 800 USD is a lot of money here in China. And especially if you were talking about earlier times when the USD was stronger = even more RMB.
Post a Reply to: Yangtze Cruise
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code