Menu
Renewing student visa?
Feb 20, 2010 08:34
  • LAURENTCHINE
Hello, I am planning to study in China for a total of six months. I see that the X Visa is only for 3 months though.

So I was wondering - is it possible to get this visa renewed when I'll be in the China? Or perhaps is it possible to apply for 6 months straightaway?

Laurent
Feb 21, 2010 02:43
  • BJLEEO
X visas are only temporary transitional ones, which need to be changed to residence permits for study within 30 days after you enter into China.

After you come to China, your university/ college can help you with the following job concerning the visa issue.

For short-term study or advanced study less than 6 months, you can apply for an F visa.
For longer study more than 6 months, you need to apply for an X visa initially and change it to Residence permit for study when you come to China.

Mar 14, 2010 08:49
  • LAURENTCHINE
Thank you for your answer. I am still a bit confused with the various visas though.

If I understand correctly, I think the F Visa is not for me because I won't have any invitation letter from a company or organizations since I won't be working.

So I guess I should go with an X-Visa. However will it be possible to have it changed to a Residence Permit for Study even though I won't stay more than six months?

I would really appreciate if you could clarify.

Thanks!

Laurent
Mar 18, 2010 06:48
  • LEMONCACTUS
If you are applying to study for 6 months or less, you should apply for the "F" visa.

If you are applying to study for more than 6 months you should apply for the "X" visa.

You will need to send the relevant paperwork from the school/uni that you are studying at.

Either visa is valid for 3 months from the date it is issued - this means you MUST enter China within these 3 months. After the 3 months, the visa has expired and you will be refused entry.

Once in China, your visa must be "changed" into a resident's permit - and your school should do this for you (or help you to do it). This must happen within 30 days of entering China.

LC
Mar 18, 2010 11:30
  • JABAROOTOO
If you have applied to study and been accepted at an accredited University, you will be issued with an invitation and should have been advised which visa you will need to apply for.

Once you have arrived it is your schools responsibility to process your PRP which will include a medical and registration with the local police. If you are living on campus, your school will do this, otherwise ask for their assistance.

All the best
Mar 18, 2010 17:51
  • LAURENTCHINE
Many thanks for your replies. I made the application to the school today and it looks like they are indeed going to send me a letter. So I'll use it to apply for an F-Visa.

There is something else I was wondering - if I want to study for 3 more months once in China, can it be done? Will they agree to renew my visa? Or do you think I should plan this here before going to China?

Laurent
Post a Reply to: Renewing student visa?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code