Menu
Beijing companion/guide needed for July 2010
Mar 8, 2010 17:00
  • COLONELTED
I am a Canadian gentleman, 68 years old, who will be visiting Beijing in July 2010 for about two weeks. I need an interpreter, guide and companion for the trip.

I am a retired colonel in the Army, I have lived and worked all over the world but I have a special affection for China.

I have been to Beijing and China before but I have not had the time and leisure, until now, to see as much as I want and at my own pace.

I want to see most of the important and some of the minor sights including, again, the Great Wall. I also want to visit gardens, parks, temples, museums, galleries and some ‘ordinary’ Beijing places where ‘ordinary’ people go about their daily business. I am interested in what people do and how they go about their daily lives. I also want to visit Tianjin for a day and, do a couple of side trips: perhaps an overnight trip to Pingyao and another to Datong. I will look to my companion guide for advice on if, when and how to make these trips.

Although I am 68 years old, I am fit and vigorous. But, as a result of a couple of old injuries, I walk with a cane, but quickly, and I neither see nor hear as well as I would wish.

I am a very early riser but I prefer to start my ‘tourist’ day at about 9:00 AM, giving myself a few hours in the early morning for breakfast, a walk and to check E-mails and do some essential financial things by computer. Given my age I am, on most days, ready to finish with an early dinner and a drink, but on some evenings I will want to attend a later dinner and a show – acrobats, opera, etc. Thus, I expect that I will want my companion/guide for more than eight hours each day – normally about 12 hours and, sometimes, 14 and even 16 hours may be required. Some days will be taken up with long walks around some of Beijing’s attraction, others will involve considerable sitting in parks and listening to music. So, above all I want an interesting, charming, intelligent, knowledgeable, flexible and patient companion and guide.

I would prefer a companion and guide who is university graduate – I will always have many, many questions about Chinese history, culture, tradition, politics, economics and values. My guide, companion must be prepared to work to my schedule – about 9:00 AM until 9:00 PM most days.

Of course I will pay all expenses and provide reasonable compensation, too.

What is reasonable compensation for the service I seek?
Mar 19, 2010 13:59
  • COLONELTED
I have engaged a guide for my trip to Beijing. We have agreed a fair price, about the middle of several 'quotes' offered to me by various guides. I will report on the outcome in August.
Nov 28, 2010 03:26
GUEST99940 HI TED,.

I HAVE A SIMIALR PROFILE TO YOU AND AM LOOKING FOR A GUIDE/COMPANION FOR A 16 DAY TRIP IN YUNNNAN.

HAVE YOU GOT ANY USEFUL CONTACTS??

AUSSY1
Nov 28, 2010 04:20
  • COLONELTED
I employed Ms. Susan Liu and I was very satisfied with her service.

You can see more about her, including my review, on her website: http://susanliuyun.shutterfly.com/

But, a couple of points:

First - a private guide is not, strictly, necessary in Beijing. A good guide book and a bit of help from the hotel concierge work for many people. I do not employ a guide when I go to Shanghai but I did in Beijing which I, personally, find a bit more difficult to 'manage.'

Second - there is a lot to see in Beijing that "off the beaten track." For example, I made yet another visit to Soong Qing-ling's mansion, a must for anyone interested in modern Chinese history, and a first to Quandixia village which was a delightful excursion. A good, local guide (real Beijinger - not someone from the provinces) can be invaluable in matching one's interests with what is available. Susan did that for me on several occasions.

Hope that helps.

Dec 7, 2010 02:41
  • HERBEAT
I guess it probably is Chuandixia, or at least there's another village called Chuandixia which is nice... Hope that helps too...
BTW, Beijinger might have the advantage to experience the changing of this city. But other than that, I don't think there are many differences. I've seen so many professional tour guides from other provinces who work here in Beijing and they are absolutely wonderful. I'm guessing you must have tried some other guides who are not local Beijinger which make you gave the speech but I still disagree with you. And I'm sure with the number of the guides I know and freguency I take the services (some for my clients though), I can say the core fact which makes a guide good or not is not the location he / she was borned at, but the attitude they hold to treat the guests and the experience they have.
Post a Reply to: Beijing companion/guide needed for July 2010
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code