Menu
Need Help Renewing Foreign Res. Permit
Mar 8, 2010 21:28
Hi all,

Here is a description of my situation:

I was employed in Beijing as an ESL teacher. The company I worked for got me a Foreign Residence Permit from my F-Visa (they must have done something shady here). I worked with them for a year and decided to switch cities and pursue different career interests. I returned to the United States for a 2 week stay and have just returned to Shanghai where I have secured a job in import/export.

Now I want to renew my Foreign Residence Permit, which will expire in one week, under my new employer. I have my new "Registration Form of Temporary Residenc" in Shanghai, all of the company documentation from my new employer, and release letter from my former employer, however, my former employer withheld and has since canceled my small burgundy colored passport-like book. I'm not sure if this is called a foreign expert certificate or a work permit, or if they are the same thing...

Now I believe I need to get a new one of these (whatever it's called) before I can renew my Foreign Residence Permit for another year. I'm wondering if I even have enough time for this. I've searched quite a bit but the information is scattered and the situation is a bit unique.

I'm wondering if I can avoid having to go to Hong Kong. If I were to go to Hong Kong, would I be able to start the process over from there in a legal and legitimate way? Would this be expensive? How long would/could it take? Are there any other viable options?

Lots of questions. I appreciate any insight.
Mar 9, 2010 21:07
GUEST33138 According to government policies...you must apply for a "Z" visa to enter China for work purposes.The papers for this visa have to be filed at the China embassy in your country or origin.Z visa's are no longer issued in Hong Kong.
The "little red book" is your foreign expert certificate which must be obtained before you can apply for a resident permit.All of the paperwork for getting it must be filed with local government by your employer.It is not easy to get and it needs to prove you are an "expert" in field you will be working in..Odds are you will most likely end up having to return home. P.S. overstaying your resident permit/visa is liable for deportation and fines of up to 500 RMB per day!
Mar 10, 2010 01:53
  • WING
Dear Sir

As your situation you are not renewing the residence permit! You must apply the working visa again with whole procedure. Cause you changed the job and city! The whole procedure of residence permit will cost you 30days at least. Dont overstay~~~~~

Mar 16, 2010 04:08
  • SMILE1212
Hello there

U needn't go to HK and apply for the new visa ,if the copmany you worked at before has cancelled your expert permit ,just keep the cancelled paper well and then transfered your residence permit to the new company ,we also have an office in shanghai ,maybe they can help you do it !

Amanda
Mar 17, 2010 10:54
  • JABAROOTOO
As stated above, when you change employers you must begin the process all over again.

This not no always mean leaving the country if your old PRP was issued in the correct manner.

It's a government regulation that your little red book be canceled once you leave the employ for which it was issued.

It is now the responsibility of the company who is offering you work to proceed with the necessary paperwork before your PRP expires.

First thing is - Are they registered to employ foreigners? If so They may lodge an application on your behalf prior to the expiry of your existing PRP and then wait the necessary processing period. None of this is your responsibility. You just have to show up where necessary and take a medical.

Before you are issued with a new PRP, you will need

your medical clearance,
tobe registered with your local police station,
have been issued with a new Foreign Expert or Alien Workers permit
and you may be asked to sign a declaration that you have no criminal record.

ASK your new employer to take care of it all and e available to follow them to all the different offices.

All the best
Apr 11, 2012 07:47
GUESTETTEL Hi, My visa will expire in May 11th but I will stay with my current employer until May 4th. This is actually my first year in Shanghai. I already have a new employer and will be on boarded on the 7th of May. I can ask my current employer on my last day to transfer my work permit on my last day.(the maroon passport like booklet). Since, I can only get my release letter on my last day, will I be violating any legal laws because I think it takes some days to renew the permit and then I can proceed to renewing my visa?

By the way, I found this article.
http://answers.echinacities.com/question/latest-pup-shanghai-psb
Post a Reply to: Need Help Renewing Foreign Res. Permit
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code