Menu
Hotel Shanghai and Huangshan tips
Mar 9, 2010 13:46
  • GUAIRU
Hi!

I'm planning to go to Shanghai in mid May and are wondering if I should, since the world expo, make hotel reservations in advance? Does anyone have a tip on a hotel: 4 stars approximately 1000RMB per night king size bed?

I will also go to Huangshan. The plan is to fly from Beijing to Huangshan and spend two-three nights there, any tip on route on the mountain and hostels to stay at (standard can be low)?

Many thanks!
Åsa
Mar 9, 2010 14:13
  • COLONELTED
I, too, am seeking some Huangshan tips.

I will be in Shanghai in late June and early July and I plan to make side trips to Nanjing (all arranged by a friend of a friend) and to Huangshan.

How long should I 'budget' for Huangshan? What is the best (most comfortable) way to get there? Where is a good (comfortable) place to stay? Is the climb suitable for a 68 year old? Anything else I should know?

Thanks, in advance, for any and all tips.
Mar 11, 2010 00:40
  • SUSAN205060
as i know , the shanghai hotel room rate will be double .so pls reserve hotel in advance definitely.

Bdgs&Tks,
Susan ( China Guide)

MSN: hotmail.com|Susan205060
Mar 12, 2010 12:52
  • GUAIRU
Thanks Susan, good to know. I will defenitately book a hotel before going to Shanghai. Do you have any tips for hotels, 4 stars?
Mar 13, 2010 13:04
  • COLONELTED
For information: I'm staying at the Marriott Courtyard in Pudong < http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/shacy-courtyard-shanghai-pudong/ > because it was recommended to me by an acquaintance and it is convenient to the Metro and the Shanghai 2010 Expo site - the main reason for my trip to Shanghai.

I booked it several weeks ago while the rate was around $(US)85.00/night. I note the best rate is now about $(US)120.00/night.
Mar 23, 2010 14:35
  • ELLYSE
The well-located 4-star hotels which I can think of, all have rates beyond 1000 RMB/night, even without the Expo to drive up prices. If you don't mind being pretty far from the Expo then you might want to consider the Crowne Plaza Fudan which I know you can get for within that price range.
No "hostels" in Huangshan summit area but hotels have dorm rooms with/without ensuite. Stay NOT on a Fri/Sat night if you want to save money. I usually recommend taking the Taiping cable car up, West Sea Canyon hike, stay overnight (usually Baiyun Hotel or Paiyunlou Hotel) then descend via Western Steps the next day.

Generally 2 full days for Huangshan (the mountain itself) should be fine. Most comfortable way to get there would be flight and then hire a vehicle and driver to the mountain, but unsurprisingly that would also be the most expensive option. As I mentioned a few lines above I usually book Baiyun Hotel or Paiyunlou Hotel, they have dorms as well as private rooms. Take your pick of route (and/or cable cars), I can't generalise about your physical fitness/mobility level based on your age alone.

If anyone has further queries, please email me at yahoo.com|ellyse99 and put "TravelChinaGuide" and your own username (eg Guairu or ColonelTed) in the subject line.
Mar 31, 2010 14:14
  • GUAIRU
Thanks for all the good advice on hotels in Shanghai and on Huangshan summit. I will defenitly book hotel rooms in Shanghai before I leave.
Post a Reply to: Hotel Shanghai and Huangshan tips
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code