Menu
Shilin Stone Forest--worth the cost?
Mar 30, 2010 11:21
  • JENMARIE
My trip is getting closer, and I'm getting very excited!

I see that the cost for visiting the Shilin Stone Forest is pretty steep--more than 20USD. Is it worth it? I enjoy hiking through nature areas with interesting scenery, but do not have a sense of how nice it is. Are there other attractions nearby that are worth visiting on a long day trip from Kunming?

Also, for those who have been there very recently, I've heard that the county has been hit very hard by the drought. Is that your impression as well?

Thanks once again!
Mar 30, 2010 12:05
  • ELLYSE
Sorry, I wasn't there recently.
However I would say that it's quite interesting and pretty untouristy if you go on the outer loop road, away from the central part that's most frequented by Chinese tour groups. Or, if you have a choice, go to the central part first, very early in the morning, before all the tour groups descend upon it... then enjoy the outer loop (these are surrounded by farmland) later in the day.
I was able to get an early start as I took the train from Xiamen, and stopped directly at Shilin rather than going all the way to Kunming and then back out again to Shilin for a daytrip. Hope that's not confusing you.
Mar 30, 2010 16:44
  • JENMARIE
Thanks Ellyse, that's a helpful tip!
Mar 30, 2010 21:10
  • ELLYSE
No problem, you're welcome.
Post a Reply to: Shilin Stone Forest--worth the cost?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code