Menu
Gansu itinerary
Apr 5, 2010 02:38
  • SOMMER
2 moms and 2 girls, 8 and 10, looking to spend 2 or 3 weeks in June in the Gansu . Xiahe is our main objective and our first stop from Beijing probably Xi'an.

So many possibilities from here to there: help me prune down our list?

Anyone get to Lanzhou via Ningxia? Xumi Grottoes near Guyuan sound fascinating but after having visited Datong... worth it?

Skip that and visit area around Tianshui instead? Daxiang Shan, Lashao Temple (Dafo Ya)...
Getting directly to Xiahe from here possible?

Or keep things simple and since Lanzhou is inevitable, just visit Bingling Si? I hate being rushed so an overnight may be necessary.; most daytrippers have but an hour.

My main criteria is how developed a sight has become: a carpark with 20 coaches puts me right off. Conversely, a naturally beautiful setting is worth alot of sweat getting there.

Hiring a Mianbaochi/driver is a possibility if local transport is difficult or many special diversions make it worth the expense.

Any other must-sees?

cheers!

Apr 5, 2010 03:50
  • ELLYSE
Aren't you planning to go to Dunhuang and Jiayuguan? I think those would be a must-see in Gansu! Or have you already visited them before?

I've been to Gansu twice, once in winter and once in winter. The 1st trip in 2006 covered Dunhuang, Jiayuguan. Lanzhou (but not Bingling Si) and Xiahe, I was going to continue to the rest of the places you mentioned, but got sick and ended up flying back instead. The 2nd trip in 2007 covered Dunhuang, Jiayuguan and Lanzhou (again only the city). I was travelling with different people so ended up going to the same places.

I have pretty good write-ups about Dunhuang, Jiayuguan and Xiahe on my VirtualTourist travel pages, plus some tips about Lanzhou and Linxia as well. Do check them out, will appreciate it very much if you sign up for a VirtualTourist account and help me rate the tips as you go along. :)

Dunhuang: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1d57/f8fb3/
Jiayuguan: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1d57/f77c6/
Xiahe: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1d57/f720c/
Lanzhou: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1d57/f7140/
Linxia: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1d57/f6cff/

From Xi'an to Xiahe, you might want to go by way of Langmusi. Look on the Lonely Planet ThornTree forum/guidebook for the exact route, it involves changes at a few different places (eg Zoige/Ruoergai) and I can't remember the details.

Also note that Xiahe might be closed to foreigners. I had some South-East Asian Chinese friends try to go to Xiahe (from Lanzhou) recently and they were only able to go as far as the highway turn-off before being stopped by the PSB.

If you've any more queries, email me at yahoo.com|ellyse99 and put "TravelChinaGuide" and your own username (eg Sommer) in the subject line.
Apr 20, 2010 01:05
  • SOMMER
Thanks Ellyse,

I didn't get email notice of a reply so only now checked the thread... oops.

I have already read all your above posts when considering Gansu as next destination. We may in fact fly into Dunhuang and train to Jiayuguan before heading to the more remote and mountainous corners of the province. This is where firsthand accounts are priceless!

Surprised to hear that Xiahe might be closed in 2010. Thought that was all left behind with the troubles in 2008/9. There must be a way....

I can't wait to get out of smoggy Beijing!

cheers,
Pat
Apr 20, 2010 03:14
  • ELLYSE
It was definitely closed when they went, not long before I posted my last reply.
Apr 21, 2010 03:36
  • SOMMER
I'll just have to keep fingers crossed and be ready for alternate plans.
Three Beaches National Park/Moon Canyon near Pingliang looks interesting...

Cheers!
Apr 23, 2010 09:36
GUEST14191 Three beaches national park is amazing, I visited there last June - but it's a bit of a trek to get to. Don't stay at the moon canyon resort guesthouse - it's way overpriced. If you continue up the road past the guesthouse in the middle of the canyon there are a few more small guesthouses - they charge 20rmb a night per person and they also cook meals for you as you like (cost extra) but they use local produce. You can from there hire a guide to take you to the wild forest or one of the three beaches. The wild forest has a great view as it is very up high on a mountain. If you guys are on Couchsurfing.org there is also a guy that lives in the town HuiXian (outside the TBNP) although his profile says TianShui who might be of assistance and he speaks quite good english (I don't know how your chinese is). Hope this helps!
Post a Reply to: Gansu itinerary
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code