Menu
Crime on Sanya beaches(Da Dong Hai)
Apr 6, 2010 22:44
  • XIAOGUI
If you are visiting the beaches in Sanya (Da Dong Hai, Sanya Won) be very careful with your belongings/bags as thieves are roaming the beaches looking to steal when the opportunity presents itself.Never leave your bags unattended to go swimming as your valuables may be gone when you get back.These theives are also armed and may threaten you at knifepoint if you do not give them what they want!There is absolutely no police presence on these beaches so don't rely on them for help if you are robbed.Also the police in Sanya speak very little or no english at all!
Apr 7, 2010 20:17
GUEST33180 would like report on a robbery that happened in Tiandu close to Sanya in the province of Hainan (China) on June 6 2008. This region is located in the Southernmost region of Hainan where the most expensive resorts are scattered across the beaches. Hainan has a reputation as being as “The Hawaii of Asia” but as we learned, there are a lot of petty crimes against foreigners here done by localized organized crime bandits. Hotels rent bicycles to foreigners and riding around the countryside is normal. We did not see any signs posted up warning travelers of bandits. We were riding bikes along Yalong bay and into the town of Tiandu (before Dadonghai), unaware that we were being followed by local bandits . Three local men from the village (Miao), sped up behind us and it looked like they were going to crash into us, instead, they had a knife or scissors and cut our bag while we were riding bikes. They sped away before we could even react and this happened at 1pm in the afternoon with lots of cars and people around. This was surprising to us it was in the open and happened very quickly. We were on a busy road and luckily they did not push our bike into open traffic. Fortunately, we did not lose our passports but two cameras were stolen with other smaller items. We reported this to the local police and became aware that this type of crime is common in Sanya and not well controlled. As mentioned by the police, Sanya has a huge population of ethnic minorities ( 1 million) who live in secluded villages. These people can only speak their dialect, have no education and as one of the police officers said “ you can ask a woman how many children she gave birth to and she won’t remember” . The police officer says that a lot of these men don’t work and gamble all day. IN fact, they pay for their habits by stealing from foreigners. In Sanya, I saw many of these poor minority people and there was a sense of desperation for money. I did not feel safe at all and I would like to advise others about their public safety if they choose to visit this place. I came away from this experience that some people are willing to steal money, at all costs. I would not return to this place.

Post a Reply to: Crime on Sanya beaches(Da Dong Hai)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code