Menu
Reccomendations for Trip
Apr 8, 2010 13:54
  • BENB2A
Hey everybody,

I'm going to be in Shanghai from June to August for business this summer. I have a trip planned to Beijing to see the Great Wall and the Olympic Sites.

What else should I consider a "must see" while I'm there.

Thanks,

Ben
Apr 8, 2010 21:42
  • Y1999
If you have a lot of time, you can experience the local people' s life,it's more interesting than going to see those tourist attractions.
Last edited by Y1999: Apr 8, 2010 21:44
Apr 9, 2010 04:59
  • MARK_81
Well I travelled through China for 2 years mostly 2007/08 on and off. I lived in Amsterdam before so the cultural differences were quite something I can tell ya! I was so impressed! and seeing all the main sites is obviously essential but I took a few days just pausing doing nothing for a day or two just experiencing the place, taking it all in. my advise would be don't rush and see too many places all at once enjoy the trip and take in your surroundings.
Apr 10, 2010 03:25
GUESTANDY Must sees in China? Wow ...

There are so many beautiful cities in china. Different people may see things in different way. Depend on ur interests.

I think you should better have a good view about this website. And you can decide what attractions you are interested in.
Hope u a happy time in China.

Apr 10, 2010 12:45
  • HERBEAT
Something must see in Beijing? Well...
The ancient buildings.. The forbidden city, Summer palace, the Temple of Heaven..
Buddist buildings: Lama Temple
For Confucious: The area near Lama Temple
Nightlife: Sanlitun area
Special places for foreign shopping, Silk Market or Yashow in Sanlitun
Some other suggestions: Houhai, Nanluoguxiang

Since you didn't give much info, that's something I could suggest. But if you need more advice, feel free to contact me, besides, I'm in Beijing^-^
Apr 11, 2010 00:09
  • BENB2A
Yea, well I'm going to be there on a construction internship. I just graduated in Construction Management. I'm really interested in buildings and unique architecture. I'm also very interested in sustainable features of buildings. I discovered some pretty cool buildings in Guangzhou but I don't think I will have enough time to make a trip down there. From what I can tell it would take about 24 hrs to get there. I have all summer to enjoy the essence of China, so I don't think I'll miss out on that. I'll have a lot of free time at nights to go out and enjoy the culture. Thanks for your input so far.
Last edited by BENB2A: Apr 11, 2010 00:10
Apr 11, 2010 02:04
  • HERBEAT
Ah... I really hate this... I typed a looong message and the moment I clicked the send button, it all disappeared... Anyway, last time when I went to Baihai Park, there were lots of pics for the buildings in China. If you are going to the Olympic sites, then there's another place you might want to have a visit. Not far from the Olympic, there's a hotel called Pangu - seven star hotel. That building looks a bit wired but if you are interested in architecture, then it's worth to see. All the ancient buildings such as the forbidden city, summer palace or the lama temple, could give you a classic architecture feeling. You could also study something about fengshui there. The south and the north have different characteristic in architecture. In the north, it's breath taking magnificant buildings. In the south, it's peaceful and gentel beauty...
Apr 11, 2010 12:14
  • ELLYSE
Ok, I gather that you're most interested in seeing architecture. Do you want only modern architecture, or ancient as well?
Guangzhou is only about 17 hours by train (or 2 hours by flight) from Shanghai, it's not as far as you think.
Realistically, how many days do you have (and in how many separate trips) to spend sightseeing out of Shanghai?
If you've any more queries, email me at yahoo.com|ellyse99 and put "TravelChinaGuide" and your own username (eg BenB2A) in the subject line.
Post a Reply to: Reccomendations for Trip
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code