Menu
A trip through the west - tips?
May 6, 2010 04:41
guest12193 Hi,

I was wondering if anyone who has traveled a lot through Sichuan and Yunnan could give me some tips and pointers. I have decided roughly on an itinerary - after a quick stop in Shanghai, I am going from Chengdu - Kunming in a semi circle through Sichuan and Yunnan.

This is my current plan:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=105633994904021912032.000485d1cc7f1de1dde63&z=7

Have you been to these places? Am I missing something awesome along the way that I should check out? Is there something I should skip? What will the weather be like? (the approximate dates are listed)

I have been in China for 2 years, currently living in Beijing, and my Mandarin is on an intermediate level. Last year, I traveled from Xining in Qinghai down to Yushu, Manigangge, Dege and Kangding. Is this more of the same or very different?
I'm usually very good at getting around with local means of transportation.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Hugi
May 6, 2010 04:53
  • ELLYSE
What mode of transport are you taking for Beijing -- Shanghai that costs only 300 RMB? Hard sleeper train is frequently bought out in advance by tour agencies, and it costs closer to 330 RMB than 300 RMB.
If you're going by hard sleeper for Shanghai -- Chengdu, better allow 470 RMB for it, plus be prepared for a train ride that would take 36-45.5 hours. Is that what you had in mind?
I'm pretty well-travelled in both these provinces as well as most of mainland China, but somehow not on part of your route. I really liked Danba, though I didn't spend too long there. Are you not planning to see Jiuzhaigou? IMHO that would be a great pity!
I would also recommend Meilixueshan (aka Kawa Karpo) and Yuanyang, in the NW and south parts of Yunnan respectively. Both have great scenery but I don't know if you have the time.
Do you already have the Lonely Planet Southwest China? If not, I would highly recommend getting it as I found it very well-written and practical.
You can email me directly at yahoo.com|ellyse99 -- put "TravelChinaGuide" and your own username in the subject line.
May 6, 2010 11:54
  • JENMARIE
Hello Hugi,

I am actually leaving next week to spend two weeks in Yunnan and Sichuan. If you want to contact me after June 1 I'll let you know of any special gems I found, or places I recommend skipping.

Best,
Jen
Sep 17, 2010 22:14
GUESTOLGUS @GUEST12193

How was your trip? please share your experience!
Post a Reply to: A trip through the west - tips?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code