Menu
3 gorges: best Small Gorges or Shennong Stream?
May 11, 2010 07:54
guest64153 Hi
1. what do you suggest Small Gorges or Shennong Stream?
2. is it true that Shennong Stream is not worthwhile to visit after enter in operation of the Three Gorges Dam?
2. is it possible to arrange a trip to Shennong Stream/Small Gorges in Badong/Whushan?
3. are these locations super touristic? any chance of arranging a small 'individual' boat?
thanks!
May 13, 2010 03:50
  • JABAROOTOO
From Badong you can arrange your own trip to Shennong Xi but you will share a boat will any other tourists in the area on the day. we shared ours with German passengers from two large cruise ships but it did not feel crowded.

The Shennong tracker's have had to retreat further upstream to shallows where they can continue to educate visitors about their difficult and unique occupation. While they do not work naked these days it is about as authentic as you will get and they are proud of what they do.

Thus the trip up Shennong Xi to the shallows where the trackers work is similar to what remains of the once spectacular lesser three gorges.

My choice (read my travel review here on the site) is Shennong but feel free to do them both and make your won comparisons. From Wushan you can also take the local boat which runs twice a day in each direction to Wuxi or anywhere in between for a more genuine experience. Roughly twice the distance as the Three gorges and half the price but you may will need to stay overnight. Allow 5hous either way. (read my review on the On the Wild Side in Wuxi for more)
Post a Reply to: 3 gorges: best Small Gorges or Shennong Stream?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code