Menu
Travel in Xian -is it safe?
May 25, 2010 08:28
  • BRYANKO
Anyone know what the nightlife is like in xian? It is safe to go out? Where is good? Any recommendations of good food and bars to go to please share. Personally not interested in nightclubs...bit beyond that now!! Ive heard it can be "dangerous" to venture out of your hotel...but hoping this isnt true.
May 25, 2010 20:46
GUESTARLO Bryanko,

It is not as dangerous as you imagine. If you look for food, you may go to the Islam street near the Drum Tower. The night view of the Bell Tower and Drum Tower is beautiful. If you want to go to some bars, just go to Fen Xiang (粉巷) on the South Street. There are many bars. Just remember not to stay outside too late.
May 26, 2010 19:06
  • ELLYSE
Good grief, who told you it's dangerous? It's generally safe in Xi'an.
Try the Muslim Quarter for street food and other eateries.
Jun 2, 2010 23:05
  • CROSIS
My wife, 11 year old daughter and I wandered around Xian at night, including some side streets on our way back to our hotel. have done this twice and never been hassled. Bought food from some of the stalls and it has been fun interacting with locals as they like to see your reaction to trying some of the different tastes <g>. I even went out alone taking photos and had no hassles.

If there was anything in Xian I never understood and that was how there are so few car accidents! A tuktuk ride from the drum tower to the gate was an experience I wont forget in a hurry - not so much scary, but certainly thrilling.
Jun 3, 2010 22:48
  • BL2022
One do not need to care too much about sefety. Xian is safe enough for travellers.The thing is taking care of your wallet, for there are theives.
Jun 6, 2010 06:27
  • APAULT
The biggest dangers are 1) the drivers....most importantly, do not assume a 'green man' means it is safe to cross the road, and painted pedestrian crossings must be viewed as simply street decoration; 2) what in the west we typically call 'health and safety': be careful of all electrical wiring, be careful in shops and the streets as there are alays obstructions, fire exits are blocked and so on.

But you are in less danger from the locals than just about any country in the world. Even outside bars late at night, the locals are benign drunks compared with what most of us are used to (so keep clear of the foreigners!) Yes there are pickpockets: I was targetted once (but he must have been a novice as I had in in a headlock before he got anything), but on the other hand I have a bad habit of dropping money from my back pocket and so many times I have been told by people nearby.

You might like to check out the youth hostels in Xi'an: at least 2 have a bar with lower prices than normal bars.... there is a lively one near the South gate, near the Muslim market... I forget its name...the second hostel from the south gate. and yhachin.com for further info

Oct 22, 2017 00:46
GUEST24196 I just lost my wife wallet in Xi'an Airport, someone stole it when my son was crying.

be careful to bring babies or kids in Xi'an and be sure to put your belonging.
Dec 14, 2019 08:42
GUEST23243 Xi'an is safe but like all cities at night watch your belongings and wallet. Was there for 2 months in fall of 2019 and the only concern I had was traffic and scooters. The cars do not stop for pedestrians so be very careful even when signs say walk. And if you buy souvenirs at the tourist spots you pay x3 of regular price.
Jan 14, 2020 05:30
  • KLODDES
Hello! What is the best way to get from Turkey to the UK? Of course, I am going to fly by plane, but which is the best airline to choose? Do I need a visa there? By the way, where is it better to stop? renting an apartment or book a hotel? in any case, I will need a London postcode map, can anyone advise me a good one?
Last edited by KLODDES: Jan 14, 2020 05:35
Post a Reply to: Travel in Xian -is it safe?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code