Menu
Art of Barginning
Mar 11, 2005 21:57
How to bargin at a market.
As a tourist I wish to be fair in my price, but I do not wish to overpay. How do you determine what the locals would pay for an item? If the seller is asking 100 and I counter offer 50, did I get it at 50% off? Or could a local buy it for 10? What are the typical markups in the markets and how do you get the best price? I'm sure the seller would never take a too low price!! But I could always offer a too high price.
Mar 12, 2005 00:25
  • ELCABRON
Hi Easytravel!

Discounts depend of things you want to buy and starting prices. For me as a laowai, starting prices are always very high moon prices, so I have to beat them down to a third of the original price or even less than that. It depends. In the beginning you start with a price which is so low, you know he/she cannot sell it for. So the dealer goes down with his price and you can go up a little later - in the end both parties keep their face. If your dealer does not want to sell it at your price which you have in mind go on to the next shop. If they are interested in selling it to you, they come after you or call you back. This can happen several times during negotiations. But as long as they sell it to you in the end, you can be sure that they still have their profit.
You need a lot of time for this entertaining sport! Never be in a hustle when shopping and never believe something is real!

Especially for Beijing read my travel tip for shopping at the PANJIAJUAN and HONGQIAO markets. I give some examples of prices for Chinese art and clothes.....
Mar 14, 2005 11:26
  • PEPPERMINT
Generally speaking, it is not possible to buy at 10 for something offered at 100 yuan for natives though it is highly possible to foreigners. Normally it would be 30 or 35 for something offered at 100 yuan.
Always have enough change with u to avoid fake money!
Post a Reply to: Art of Barginning
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code