Menu
Women and cigarette smoking
May 31, 2010 22:27
guestNancy There is a rise in female cigarette smoking. Females, who used to be in the small minority, are now making up nearly 40% of all smoking-related deaths and the number is steadily increasing, due to an increasing number of girls taking up the habit.
According to the latest study, females have certain health risks when they smoke. Some of these risks are unique to women, and some are increased in females compared to males:
• risk for developing cervical cancer
• more complications with pregnancies, including lower infant birth weights and defects
• Women who smoke and take birth control have an increased risk for strokes, heart attacks, and blood clots
• Female smokers have an alarmingly younger age for a first heart attack compared to men who smoke: women who smoke have a first heart attack (on the average) at about age 66, compared to women who don't smoke (81.) That's a 14 year difference. For men, the difference is 6 years (age 72 for smokers compared to 64 for non-smokers.)
What, do you think, is causing an Increase in the Number of Female Smokers?
Jun 1, 2010 18:24
  • LARRYBOY
A horrible habit for sure, which depletes a bodys vitamin C content. Smoking takes away from a womans beauty,, just by the mere sight of a cigarette hanging out of their mouth is a turn off!! Some see it as a status symbol of acceptance in peer groups,, which is really a weakness and no confidence in themselves. Sad to see such beauty wasted by something there is no excuse for. Good statistics Nancy,,,but you must add psycological effects to the list, on what I mentioned above. In the long run they will regret ever starting. LB
Jun 1, 2010 20:03
Is it because people think that a woman having a cigarette in her hand is very charming? They seem rebellious and wild and some men like these women. But they are not my type. I don't want a woman with yellow teeth. By the way, I am not sacrifice my life by breathing the air mixed with smoke.
Jun 1, 2010 22:57
  • GLOOMYSUNDAY
Quote:

Originally Posted by LARRYBOY

Sad to see such beauty wasted by something there is no excuse for. LB

Good statement, Larry. I got 'motion sickness' not bcz the motion but the bad smell. I m lucky that my elder brother hates cigarette and my father have to abandon them unwillingly (actually under my force) .
Jun 1, 2010 23:03
GUESTNANCY
Quote:

Originally Posted by LARRYBOY

Some see it as a status symbol of acceptance in peer groups,, which is really a weakness and no confidence in themselves. LB

LB, This is what I leave to you, and happy to get your insight that I hardly to know. Do you take one between your fingers?
Jun 2, 2010 18:14
  • DAINTY
Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOOMYSUNDAY

Good statement, Larry. I got 'motion sickness' not bcz the motion but the bad smell. I m lucky that my elder brother hates cigarette and my father have to abandon them unwillingly (actually under my force) .

Good for you Gloomy, I wish my sisters has the willpower to quit like your father!

These days young women think they're immune to health problems cos they're young and invincible. They don't realise the implications and the effect it will have in later life until its too late and their hair, clothes and breath stinks too. Also I know someone who smoked for over 20 years has trouble conceiving and she's almost 40.

Jun 2, 2010 19:20
  • LARRYBOY
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUESTNANCY

LB, This is what I leave to you, and happy to get your insight that I hardly to know. Do you take one between your fingers?

never smoked and never did and never would intend to start,, but I have seen enough, from emphesema to all kinds of cancer it has caused in family and friends,, bad breath,, stinkin clothes,, the after smell the next day of someones house,,, money wasted buying them. I have had plenty of opportunities to start smoking but I was alot stronger than that. Others not so lucky to quit. As funny as it would look on zoo and farm animals to have a cigarette in their mouth (( if you can picture it)) is just as funny seeing an extra long cigarette hang down out of the mouth of a small body build. Chew a piece of gum and keep your mind occupied. And the worst have seen ,, is when someone just wakes up from an all night sleep and lights one up. ........... to me that is a horrid sight!!....... No I dont take one between my fingers! LB
Jun 2, 2010 20:03
  • MARRYMAX
Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOOMYSUNDAY

It's good that your father quits smoking. My father once was badly ill and he had to quit smoking. Then he did quit smoking. However, he is lack of self-control. Lately, he smoked again.

Actually, I am sick of smoking. If somebody smokes next to me, I will feel breathless.
Jun 2, 2010 21:33
GUESTNANCY Studies also show that smoking is not good for mental health. Smokers may feel their habit calms the nerves, but experts say there is emerging evidence that nicotine addiction could cause rather than relieve depression and anxiety. If people have depression, they may smoke longer and find it harder to quit. Nicotine itself can not cause cancer, but it 'help' you to sink deep.
Jun 3, 2010 22:18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MARRYMAX

It's good that your father quits smoking. My father once was badly ill and he had to quit smoking. Then he did quit smoking. However, he is lack of self-control. Lately, he smoked again.

Actually, I am sick of smoking. If somebody smokes next to me, I will feel breathless.

Marry, it is very hard for a smoker to quit smoking. Like a drug user, he can't quit easily. Cigarette is drug.
Jun 4, 2010 21:37
  • MARRYMAX
Quote:

Originally Posted by LONELYJOURNEY

Marry, it is very hard for a smoker to quit smoking. Like a drug user, he can't quit easily. Cigarette is drug.

Then better persuade him not smoke too much.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Women and cigarette smoking
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code