Menu
Speak English??
Jun 22, 2010 01:37
  • NANCYMOON
From 2010, Xian is going to be built as an internationalized metropolis within 10 years. How the diathesis of civilian should be if we define it an International Metropolis? The officials of Xian give a basic criterion which concern many aspects, including the most essential ones like etiquette and sanitation. Besides, English is promoted to be gain ground among citizens. It required that 80% of Xian citizen can introduce attractions in English.

Above news is what I saw today, and my Q is: Is the regulation necessary? or to be carry out efficiently? How can it be if people like my grandpapa even can not speak mandarin? 80% is a huge number according to the population of Xian-more than 10,000,000. What do you think? How many of you learn the second language?
Jun 22, 2010 03:50
  • BAKUI
Quote:

Originally Posted by NANCYMOON

It required that 80% of Xian citizen can introduce attractions in English.

I think it is impossible, at least in 10 years.
Jun 23, 2010 04:49
  • BL2022
i think it's an impossible task. Even citizens in Beijing cannot achieve it although 2008 Olympic is held there.
Jun 23, 2010 04:55
GUEST5609 Perhaps, we should invite Li Yang to give Crazy English Lessons to Xi'an locals. I think that those who study English are familiar with this guy.
Jun 23, 2010 21:52
  • ELLIOTT
Quote:

Originally Posted by NANCYMOON

Above news is what I saw today, and my Q is: Is the regulation necessary? or to be carry out efficiently? How can it be if people like my grandpapa even can not speak mandarin? 80% is a huge number according to the population of Xian-more than 10,000,000. What do you think? How many of you learn the second language?

It is terrible. I think, even Beijing could not reach up to this percentage after the 2008 Olympic Games. But it is possible if they account it among students only. Learning a second language is nothing a piece of cake.
Post a Reply to: Speak English??
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code