Menu
Horrible! Be careful with fake ATMs!
Jun 22, 2010 22:54
  • JIMMYB
Horrible! Be careful with fake ATMs!

When you withdraw money from ATMs, do you ever think about if the ATM you use is fake? A media reporter in Beijing was set up when he used his debit card to withdraw money from an ATM. He failed to withdraw money from the ATM and 2100 yuan inside his debit card was stolen three days later. Except this reporter, a local guy who lives closely to that ATM was also cheated. His 5000 yuan was stolen.

If you don’t check this ATM carefully, you won’t easily find out it is fake. Just see this photo. Can you figure out if it is fake?

How could the thief steal money? The fake ATM is actually a card reader. It can remember your card number and password. When the thief get your card number and password, he can produce another card to withdraw your money.

Jun 22, 2010 22:56
  • JIMMYB
Tips

1. Check out the appearance of the ATM. Look at this photo below. Can you tell which is fake?
2. Pay attention to the ATM location. Usually, the ATM are equipped at the banks, supermarkets and office buildings.
3. Entering the 24-hour self-service banks, you need to slide your card. But please remember that you just need to slide your card. You NEEDN’T enter your password.

In the mean time, please check that if the device has been changed. And please use your fingers to cover your card number when you slide your card in case your card number was recorded by the video camera.

Jun 23, 2010 04:42
GUESTETHAN God, we will never be too careful.
Jun 23, 2010 05:00
  • MARRYMAX
I just withdraw money from the ATMs inside the banks. In the past, I withdrew money from the ATMs outside the banks. After hearing that some guys may equip the card reader on the ATMs to steal your account info, I never withdraw money outside the banks.

Please try to be carefuly if you don't want to risk losing your money.
Jun 23, 2010 06:18
  • LARRYBOY
Who puts these machines in place? Is there a corrupt company or bank that has a license to install these machines? Or is someone smart enough to to access the ATM with compurter savvy, that they are able to put a virus in the ATM, that will hold the victims info until the criminal can come back. Does anyone report this kind of abuse to the bank or is the bank the criminal that comes back and collects the money themselves. Thieves are smart but short sighted, money is temporary. Please no liberal responses from anyone that say people are desperate and need the money. This is a well thought out plan of calculation in theft. There is no justification in a plan of this magnitude.
Jun 23, 2010 21:59
  • ELLIOTT
Quote:

Originally Posted by MARRYMAX

I just withdraw money from the ATMs inside the banks. In the past, I withdrew money from the ATMs outside the banks. After hearing that some guys may equip the card reader on the ATMs to steal your account info, I never withdraw money outside the banks.

Please try to be carefuly if you don't want to risk losing your money.

Terrible, better to learn from you. Maybe I can find me a bodyguard next time, deposit money with eyes around.
Post a Reply to: Horrible! Be careful with fake ATMs!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code