Menu
No More “Tongzhi” on Beijing Public Bus
Jun 24, 2010 02:21
  • BL2022
It was reported that the Beijing Public Transport Group was introducing some changes to its rules on how its service people should address passengers. Men and women would be addressed as "Sir" and "Ma'am", and children would receive the less formal, gender-neutral salutation "Little Friends".

The term "Tongzhi”, once widely used will no longer be used any more on public buses, except for rare cases, such as senior citizens.

Nowadays, this word is more referred to official pomposity or gays.

So remember this to your heart and try not to address people “Tongzhi”, neither on buses nor in other occasions. Otherwise it will be considered as disrespect.
Jun 24, 2010 04:26
GUESTCHRIS Interesting! Is there any other words that go out of fashion or go in fashion in Chinese?
Jun 24, 2010 22:28
  • BAKUI
Popular one:

Beiju (杯具): The homophony of Beiju(悲剧), which means tragedy.
Jun 28, 2010 04:37
GUESTMONICA out of fashion : you can say "guo4shi2"过时
in the fashion: you can say "shi2shang4"时尚
Jun 28, 2010 04:50
  • LAUGH
Address terms in Chinese are so compicated that I m going to finish my paper in a semester. Comparing those in English, those ones in Chinese are headache for Chinese learners. And many are hard even cannot to find a corresponding English words. But I believe language are communicative through the world. Make effort then you will succeed.

Aug 1, 2010 04:09
  • ONMYWAY
Then 小姐 should be abandoned too because the prostitutes are called 小姐 too.
Post a Reply to: No More “Tongzhi” on Beijing Public Bus
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code