Menu
Please critique my itinerary...
Jul 1, 2010 15:45
  • TEXAS80
I saw some other threads with sample itineraries and I was wondering what you experienced travelers think about mine. Dates mentioned are arrival dates (obviously). I plan to fly between most of the cities listed in the mornings or afternoons.

For 31 days:
---------------
Sept 19: fly out of Austin

Sept 20: Hong Kong (Macau 1 day)
Sept 26: Guangzhou
Sept 29: Shenzhen
Oct 2: Sanya
Oct 5: Guilin
Oct 7: Chongqing
Oct 12: Shanghai
Oct 17: Beijing

Oct 21: fly out to Austin
--------------------------

Interestingly enough Sanya and Guilin weren't on the list initially yet when I decided to stay for 31 days it appeared possible to fit those two in for a short time.
Jul 4, 2010 20:57
  • DAVEC
Makes sense to visit Shenzhen after Hong Kong as they border each other, just short train or bridge journey. then its easy enough to go through to Guangzhou.

The whole trip depends on what you want to see and do, I have spent time in some of the places on your list and as a photographer Guilin was a must for me, along with Yangshuo. Hong Kong can be done in a couple of days, 1 day in Macau was enough.

You say you will fly, I like to travel by train just for the experience. Give it a go.
Jul 5, 2010 12:20
  • TEXAS80
Hi Davec. I want to see Guangzhou's new Baiyun airport as well as Shenzhen's airport. Since I love to fly the itinerary looks a bit backwards at that point. Also want to check out the CRH on the Guangshen Railway.

So 2 days for Hong Kong? I also looked up a tour that goes from Guilin to Yangshou which was pretty expensive at about US$300+ a person. I think it was called the Li River Cruise. I'd love to go on it but some of these tours seem very expensive.
Jul 12, 2010 10:55
  • TEXAS80
I wanted to add for the record the itinerary has changed thanks to the help of others on the forum:

Sept 19: fly out of Austin

Sept 20: Hong Kong (Macau 1 day)
Sept 26: Sanya
Sept 29: Guangzhou
Oct 2: Shenzhen
Oct 5: Guilin
Oct 8: Chongqing
Oct 12: Shanghai
Oct 17: Beijing

Oct 21: fly out to Austin

The domestic flights have been purchased so the basic itinerary is pretty much set.
Jul 12, 2010 23:04
GUESTJOE Good trip if you have everything prepared in advance. Now, you still have time to learn some Chinese. Enjoy your trip in China.
Jul 13, 2010 10:13
  • JABAROOTOO
You should shorten your stay in Shenzhen, add more to Guilin area and reduce Chongqing. what do you plan to see or visit in these places????

Also remember that October 1 to about 8th is National Day holiday so I wouldn't be anywhere near Guilin or Yangshuo at that time. These are busy holiday destinations and unpleasant when crowded. Head somewhere quieter and off the beaten track and don't plan to fly anywhere as tickets prices are all inflated.

sorry to be a downer. I'm in Chongqing and curious as to why you plan to spend 4/5 days here.

BTW we have a pretty big and very new airport too. Are you flying in here???

Cheers
J
Jul 13, 2010 13:29
  • TEXAS80
Quote:

Originally Posted by JABAROOTOO View Post

You should shorten your stay in Shenzhen, add more to Guilin area and reduce Chongqing. what do you plan to see or visit in these places????

Also remember that October 1 to about 8th is National Day holiday so I wouldn't be anywhere near Guilin or Yangshuo at that time. These are busy holiday destinations and unpleasant when crowded. H...

Haha....yeah I've been warned about the National Day (week)....I'll prepare myself for the crowds, not sure if it will ruin the experience but at least it will be an experience.

As for Chongqing I always wanted to see what was up with this western boomtown. At first I was only interested in visiting the mega cities but then decided to throw in Sanya and Guilin. I was going to devote one day to Guilin and moved it up to two.

I will be flying into Chongqing Jiangbei...I've seen pictures on skyscrapercity.com and I can't wait to see the airport. I love airports so I'm excited to add several new airports to my list of travels.
Post a Reply to: Please critique my itinerary...
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code