Menu
Beijing -> Datong -> WutaiShan -> Pingyao
Jul 9, 2010 16:43
  • TEDY
Hello ,
I want to travel from Beijing to Datong , see the Yungang Caves , and then continue to hanging Monastery and then to Wutai Shan (stay a couple of days) and then finish in Pingyo.
What is the best and most efficient route to do this?

Can I arrive to Datong from Beijing in the morning visit Yungang caves and stay overnight in Datong and the following day visit the Hangining monastery for a couple of hours and from there go to Wutai Shan ?

Thank you very very much!
Jul 10, 2010 01:23
  • BL2022
The travel route is fine.

Train 2602/2603 leaves Beijing at 23:16 and arrives in Datong at 06:03.
Train K273/K276 leaves leaves Beijing at 23:14 and arrives in Datong at 06:36.
Train 1137/1140 leaves Beijing at 02:41 and arrives in Datong at 09:03.

For Yungang Caves and hanging Monastery, I recommend you to rent a car. It will be very convenient and save you a lot of time on road. It cost about rmb 350 for one day, driver included. If you’ll rent the car for two days, it will be cheaper.
Jul 10, 2010 02:53
GUEST14129 Thank you very much,
But on the second day when I go the hanging monastery, how do I continue from there to WutaiShan ?
Is there a place in the hanging monastery where I can put my backpack for the time of visit ?
Jul 13, 2010 02:34
  • BL2022
Most toursim sites have luggage storage service. I believe hanging monastery offers it too.

From hanging monastery to WutaiShan
1. Go back to datong and take a train to Wutaishan. If you rent a car, the driver will send you to the Datong Railway station. After arriving Wutaishan Railway station, take a bus to Taihuaizhen (台怀镇) from where travelers entering Wutaishan tourism site. The buses depart in accordance with the arrival time of the train. But it may stop from 12:10 to 14:10.
2. By Taxi. Two of my friends did it last year and it cost them rmb300. The route was from hanging monastery to WutaiShan Railway Station. Then take a bus to taihuaizhen.
3. Go to hunyuan County coach station(浑源汽车站), take a bus to wutaishan. It takes about 3 hours. But don’t count on it too much, cuz there are a few buses. If you rent a car, the driver will send you to the station.
Apr 16, 2012 12:29
GUEST83081 I will arrive at Datong railway station very early in the morning (6 a.m.) and would like to hire a car with driver to take me to Yungang grottoes and then to Wutai Shan.
Can I easily find cars with driver at the station and are drivers generally willing to drive such a long way from Datong to Wutai Shan? (I will not go back to Datong but will travel on to Pingyao)
Booking a private car from home is very expensive but I was wondering if I can be sure I can find one upon my arrival. Thanks.
Apr 16, 2012 21:23
GUEST5252 GUEST83081,

I suggest you hire a taxi if possible. It is much safer. As long as you pay the driver very well, I think someone is willing to take this job.
May 24, 2013 16:16
GUESTHANI hello
we are coming from bejiing to Wutaishan at September 3 th by the train
arriving Wutaishan at 23.oo in the night.

what you recommend to do? where to sleep? how do we get to the hotel at this late hour?
Post a Reply to: Beijing -> Datong -> WutaiShan -> Pingyao
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code