Menu
Can I continue to stay with my resident permit without working?
Jul 10, 2010 03:44
guest17989 My employer in China is arranging a 10ear resident permit for me, with a Z work permit.

If I leave the position, is the resident permit still valid for the remainder of the year? IE - can I stay in China and not work?

Thank you,
Jason
Jul 10, 2010 11:29
  • JABAROOTOO
It all depends if the employer follows the immigration laws. At the termination of your employment, should it fall short of the residency permit expiry date then they are obligated to cancel your permit and have you issued with a ONE month L visa (tourist) allowing you some time to leave the country.

However, many of them do not bother but................... things are getting stricter now
Jul 14, 2010 01:34
GUESTHAYDEN Generally speaking, your emplyer should go to the local police with your passport to cancel your resident permit. But actually, many don't bother to do it, as the JABAROOTOO said. So, you can stay in China until it expires.
Jul 16, 2010 13:02
  • APAULT
I agree. Unless your employer is especially keen to follow the rule AND gets your passport from you, you can unofficially stay. There is a possibility that you could get caught out....a very low possibilty in my opinion..
Jul 19, 2010 11:21
GUEST66213 do you have to provide a police certificate and criminal background check to get a Z visa or a residence permit?
Jul 20, 2010 01:18
GUESTJOE The visa application form does ask about a crimanl record. how you answer it is up to you. But if you list your criminal background there in the form, you definitely can't get the visa.
Jul 21, 2010 11:59
  • APAULT
Guest 66213: most people do not have to provide evidence for their answers to these matters, but it is always possible you can be asked to. Having a criminal record is definitely NOT a problem unless in most situations....the office issuing visas has discretion and most applicants declaring a criminal record seem to get a visa.. of course if you declare 'extreme' ofences....... :(
Sep 16, 2011 20:39
GUEST63327 hi guys I need some advice. I've just signed a new contract with my employer, due to boken promises I decided to leave. I have a new job offer from a different company who are willing to transfer my visa. In order to do this they require me to cancel my foreign expert certificate with my current employer and present the cancellation certificate. Now I want to ask if i cancel my foreign expert certificate, would it automatically cancel my residence permit? I want to remain in China so I don't want my residence permit to be cancelled with it! Any ideas what will happen. Many thanks
Jun 1, 2015 22:10
GUEST10384 If I cancel my FEC from 1st July but my Residents permit does not expire until 8th September, can I leave then country and re-entre before 8th September with no issues?
Post a Reply to: Can I continue to stay with my resident permit without working?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code