Menu
Learning Chinese
Mar 15, 2005 04:55
  • MICHAEL491
Hi, My name is Michael and i'm from the US. I am planning on taking a trip to China probably next year or even sooner and was wondering if anyone could recommend any helpful resources (books,websites,tapes) to learn the Chinese language. I was hoping to get some of the basics down. (hello, how are you, where's the bathroom...etc) And maybe if I like it enough I would get a tutor and maybe even be on my way to becoming fluent. I think it would be really helpful to know some of the language so that when I do visit I can communicate with some of the natives without the help of a traslator. Thank you in advance.
Mar 15, 2005 09:21
  • MERMAID
You may find someone who wants to learning English and who can teach you Chinese so that you will not pay too much.
Mar 15, 2005 12:42
  • VANGIESON
We are from Philipines but very fluent in English with American accents esp. my kids 7&8 yrs old we are coming to shanghai this April-May 2005 to study mandarin we hope to meet chinese family to be our freinds and help each other learn English and Mandarin in a casual way...we also looking for school offering 2months Mnadarin course.
Mar 16, 2005 12:26
  • MICHAEL491
but does anyone know of any helpful books that can get me started on the language? I want to try studying independently before I hire a tutor or take classes. Thanks
Mar 16, 2005 15:37
  • PEPPERMINT
Many books are wonderful but one thing i want to remind is that some books use a different pinyin system from the one used in mainland China. You better consult someone before you buy.That kind of pinyin is very misleading though maybe easy to pronounce for foreigners but when you want to deepen ur study, you will find it confusing.
Mar 16, 2005 17:35
  • EXLIFE
Sure, Pinyin, especially four different tones are very confusing.

I found a website for Chinese learner.

www.hello-han.com

helpful for beginners.

Mar 18, 2005 06:41
  • BOOKCHICK
Hi Michael,

I'm from the US, too, and going to China in May. My friend and I have been using the Pimsleur language CDs. There are different versions (some have more CDs than others) and can be found on Amazon and other locations. I'm still hoping to find a good phrase book to take along, too, since the language is quite difficult! :-)

Cheers,
Kathryn
Post a Reply to: Learning Chinese
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code