Menu
Kashgar to Sost
Mar 15, 2005 08:42
  • MICHAELJ
I am planning to travel from Kashgar to Sost and onwards to Gilgit in July. Found plenty of info on transport from Pakistan to China but little or nothing going the other way.

Can anyone please offer advice?
Mar 16, 2005 14:43
  • MERMAID
International bus sets off from Kashgar every afternoon and it takes 5 to 6 hours to Tashgurgan.
The permit is needed but you can also ask the local travel agency for help at a cost of RMB40 to 50.
The bus will stop at Tashgurgan for one night(you got to pay for ursefl). You will arrive the customs pass at 1030 the next morning. The bus cannot go on unless all the passengers have passed. You will arrive Sost in 4.5 to 6 hours.
Mar 16, 2005 18:17
  • MICHAELJ
Thank you for your very helpful reply.

I shall be staying overnight at Tashkurgan at the end of my tour with Travel China. My next question is, will I be able to join the bus there instead of at Kashgar?? Also, Travel China are advising against onward travel to Pakistan. Do you know of any border problems which may affect the journey?

With many thanks for your prompt reply

Mike Kerley
Mar 17, 2005 11:51
  • MERMAID
Yes you can join the bus at Tashkurgan. There is no evident reason why you cannot to go Pakistan from China. In July the Pass will be opened normally, though it may be closed earlier due to poor weather.
Mar 18, 2005 07:53
  • MICHAELJ

Thank you Mermaid for your welcome reply. I assume I will be able to buy a bus ticket when I arrive at Tashkurgan, for the next morning's departure. What is the permit you mentioned and when/where do I obtain it. Is it separate from the Visa??
If I have any other queries I will call again.

Thanks

Michael
Aug 17, 2013 04:51
GUEST17866 hello everyone,

I have travelled Via karakorum highway through towns of kashgar , tashkurgan, hunza and gilgit and narrated by whole experience in slides, feel free to ask if anything,
Oct 21, 2013 02:31
GUEST19229 Hi every one,

Can I travel by the bus from Kashagr to Sost(gilgit) in January 2014? I heard from someone that road is closed and there is no bus service available in Januray because of snow fall. Is it true or rumor?
Post a Reply to: Kashgar to Sost
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code