Menu
HEADING OFF TO CHINA TO MARRY....
Jul 15, 2010 18:53
  • NULIFE57
I have gotten quite a bit information from this site, but I am still a bit confused. I hope someone can help me out.

I have been corresponding with a lady in Wuhan china for more than 1.5 years. We write daily, call every weekend. I am 57 and she is 50. i want to visit her for the purpose of marriage in china.

I am located in Denver Colorado. Spent most of my life in the Far East, but never to china.

What kind of visa should i get?

If i get a tourist visa and than marry her in Wuhan in a Chinese ceremony is that visa fraud according to the Chinese government?

Do you know how long i must stay in china in order to marry her there? Is it a minimum of 21 days?

Prior to leaving for china, what items should i get in order ? A checklist maybe? Thank you. My email address is q.com|nulife57
Jul 15, 2010 19:24
  • NULIFE57
I forgot to mention that my fiancée spent a year here in the US prior to my meeting her. She was an exchange scholar teaching English and English literature.

Finally is a medical exam required by the Chinese officials?
Jul 18, 2010 04:43
GUESTMIA You may try to apply a tourist visa to China.
You need provide your passport, certificate of your nationality. single/non-marital status certificate (including that for divorce if any), which must be certified by the Chinese embassy or consulate or your consulate or embassy in China. After enter China, you are required to provide resident permit in China, or that of entry if any, if you want to registrate your marriage. For the medical exam, you can get it during your stay in China.
Jul 20, 2010 19:49
  • PAGEP
Before going to china make sure you have the following:

1. certificate of single approve by chinese embassy

2. cerfificate of divorce

Good luck Pierre
Jul 22, 2010 06:21
  • DAVEC
I got married in Wuhan in march.
I had to have a certificate from my local marriage office to say I was single, that needed to be authenticated by my foreign office. When I got it back I had to take it in person to the embassy for them to authenticate it too.
When I got to the office in Wuhan they told us the paperwork was no good as its in English, so they gave us a card to go across town to get it translated 120 rmb, when we returned they wanted a photo of us both with red background. When you exit the building turn right and 50yd away is a photo shop, very very helpful people.
Finally with all that they agreed to process our registration but their pc went down so we had to wait.
We arrived at 0930, left the building at 1830.
Take all your paperwork when you go but also take a huge dose of patience and a sense of humour.

Good luck and congratulations
Aug 6, 2010 16:28
  • PAGEP

Do i need photo of us together ? Do i need to see the canadian embassy in beijing before getting married ?

Thanks Pierre
Oct 21, 2010 17:33
GUEST23845 Hello:

I want to marry my Chinese girlfriend who lives in Guangzhou but we want to get married in Hong Kong. Where would we go to do that in HK and if we do, what is involved in getting her to come and live with me in the U.S.? New York specifically. Please help!

Thanks!
Oct 22, 2010 03:37
  • GAFFER
This could be complicated. A Chinese lady usually gets married in her home town (or where her hukou is?). She needs to check if she is able to marry in HK. A single person needs to provide a signed application form for legalization, an authenticated Single Status Certificate and its duplicate. Proof of identity with photo (such as valid passport) and its duplicate. If you are divorced or widowed you will need in addition an authenticated divorce Decree and its duplicate, or if a widower an authenticated Death Certificate and duplicate copy. All these will need to be translated into Chinese but this can be done in China.

Your partner will need her ID card, hukou, divorce/death certificate if applicable and 3 photos of joint head and shoulders. 4.5 x 3.5cms. (For marriage books).

Once married you then need to convince US immigration that the relationship and marriage is genuine (not a marriage of convenience). To do this you need to provide a history of the relationship, letter/email/chat history, photos of you both together, perhaps letters from friends who can vouch for you. You may also need to proove that you have the financial means to support her. This is a lengthy process and could take several months before your new wife is allowed to join you.

PM me if you would like a link to a forum whose members have already completed or are in the process of completing this process.
Post a Reply to: HEADING OFF TO CHINA TO MARRY....
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code