Menu
To foreigners: is this true?
Jul 19, 2010 23:09
guestLiu If a girl dine out with her boyfriend, her boyfriend usually pay the bill at last. Of course, girls pay the bill sometimes. Well, in most case, the boy pays the bill voluntarily. It is normal to let men pay the bill here in China.

What’s the situation in foreign countries? When you dine out with your GF, will you pay the bill or go Dutch separately?

A girl is dating with a foreign guy. One day this guy brought her to a luxurious restaurant to have dinner. When the dinner was done, this guy told her seriously that he would pay for the bill. It seemed that paying the bill was very important to him. He made her think that she should be grateful to him because he paid the bill. Then she complained to her friend: “I am no cheap girl. He won’t have me by paying the bill for a dinner.”

Do all foreigners care about “Who is going to pay the bill” too much?
Jul 20, 2010 20:49
  • JIMMYB
Why do Chinese men pay the bill? I guess that it has something to do with "face" issue. If the girl pay the bill, the boy might be embarrassed. Other people might think that the boy is useless. He just depends on a woman. I don't know how foreigners think about paying bill.

So girls should be smart when dining with boys. If you want to pay the bill, give the money to him and let him pay for it.
Jul 24, 2010 15:15
  • DAVEC
It is usual the guy pays if it is bf/gf, although sometimes when you go out the girl will say 'my treat' and pay.

If its friends we will usually share the bill, generally its fine but sometimes you will get a person calculating exactly how much their meal was and only paying that amount. Usually they dont get invited next time.
Jul 24, 2010 22:24
If I dine with my friends, I will be the first one who call the waitress to pay the bill. Some people may think that I am silly. Why do I pay the bill everytime? I am Pisces. Pisces loves paying the bill, haha. Right, there are some guys who think they are very smart. Every time they finish the dinner, they just sit there steadily waiting someone to pay the bill. I really hate these people. If they do it one or two times, I can stand them. If they keep doing this, I won't dine with them any more.

Luckily, my friends are very kind. Even I said "My treat", they still shared the bill together with me. They thought that our friendship would last forever if we dealt this in this way.

Here is one thing you should pay attention to. If somebody says “I will pay” like you do, he might not pay the bill. He just doesn’t want to embarrass himself. If you don’t understand him and let him pay the bill, he might be angry with you. You have to learn to tell if he really want to pay the bill or just wants to save his face.

To me, if my friends (even they are girls) stick to paying the bill, I won’t stop them. My understanding is: they insist on paying the bill. If you stop them, you will embarrass them.
Aug 1, 2010 03:05
  • CHARLOTT
Such a guy who pretends to pay the bill is not a real friend. My friends and I pay the bill in turn. This time, you pay the bill. Nex time, I will pay the bill. No one goes to the toilet when we decide to pay the bill and leave.
Aug 3, 2010 21:36
  • LARRYBOY
If I invite someone to dinner or lunch then i am obligated to pay,,because it was me who asked the other person to come,, if someone asks me out,, then I will offer to pay the tip. If a girl asks me out to lunch or dinner , then she is obligated to pay but sometimes this can be deceiving and it might be a test for the guy to see if he will pick up the tab.
Aug 3, 2010 22:37
GUEST1999 Why does she test the boy? Is she interested in him? If the boy has no interest in her, he just needs to say "sorry, I left my wallet at home."
Aug 7, 2010 17:19
  • OSMAN
Last year in shenzhen, one franch guy and two chinese girl came to eat,befor they bigen to eat, they did not come to one point to pay the bill..
That girls dont speak english.so i helped them to interpret.
Franch guy said we are three so we pay togather. Girls said he is boy so he pay.
Then boy asked the owner to pay for himself and go back.
Girls said they have no monney.
Finally boy payed about30rmb went back,girls remain.they really had no monney,so they lived the mobile to the owner drived back...............................................
Aug 7, 2010 22:05
GUESTNONO
Quote:

Originally Posted by OSMAN

Finally boy payed about30rmb went back,girls remain.they really had no monney,so they lived the mobile to the owner drived back...............................................

How and why these three get together for dinner? seems they are strangers to each other>>>
Aug 7, 2010 23:16
  • OSMAN
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUESTNONO

How and why these three get together for dinner? seems they are strangers to each other>>>

they said they are from night club.they met there.......
Aug 8, 2010 04:24
  • ONMYWAY
OSMAN, why did you use suspension periods? Are there any secrets behind it?

Just read your post again. Originally, I just thought these two girls just set a trap for him. Like other girls, they will order expensive dishes and let the guy pay the bill. The fact is different.

Honestly, night clubs don't give me a good impression. The girls just left their cellphones and then just went away? Why ddin't they call their friends to come there and help them pay the bill? The French guy just paid 30 yuan. Obviously, the meal wasn't expensive.
Post a Reply to: To foreigners: is this true?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code