Menu
Planning to go to retire & live in China
Jul 23, 2010 15:52
  • ELIASXI
My name is Elias and I live in Spain & I follow the Buddhist Path. I am 65 and will retire in the near future.
If possible, I would like to carry on working as apart time language teacher anywhere in China.

My monthly income will be about 7.500 Yuans.

All I`ll need is a two bedroom apartment or house in a town away from the big cities. Simple life & simple needs.

I need help to carry out my project:

Advice about where is not too expensive to live and where I may be able to obtain work as an English & Spanish language teacher.

Will I be able to live with my pension only?

Thanks for any help I get.
Elias
Jul 23, 2010 21:58
GUESTLINLIN Many universities in China now have their new campus located in the suburban districts. You can work as a teacher and live in the campus. There is a great chance they will offer you a free apartment. 7500yuan is enough if you don't live luxuriously.
Aug 2, 2010 21:16
  • GAFFER
I think your age will be a problem. Over 55's find it difficult to find work. A degree and teaching experience helps. However, in less popular areas rules are not so severe and the cost of living will be cheaper. Check the agencies but be sure to see a "genuine" translation of any contract that you are asked to sign. Be aware that the agencies work for their own benefit (commission) not yours. The employer MUST be able to obtain a Z visa for you. This allows you to exchange it for permission to work and residence when you arrive. Do not agree to travel on a tourist visa.
Aug 4, 2010 02:36
  • HERBEAT
I would suggest you to get a job as an oral English teacher in a university. I have some friends who also retired and plan to stay in China. Normally the school would either offer the round way flight each year between your country and the location of the school, free accommodation, RMB 5000+ (small cities) with not pressure work at all.

I would suggest you to find a city along the beach where the air is fresh and everything is good. Or you could find some really small city, with few foreigners but really nice people... All depends on you. But please be careful with the contract. And take your time, to be patient.
Dec 29, 2010 11:01
GUESTPWM can a chinese and u.s. person own land together now in china
Dec 29, 2010 21:02
  • HERBEAT
Hmm.... own land? What do you mean by saying that? To own the land for how long? I think you can actually buy property here and that would last for around 50 - 70 years...
Dec 30, 2010 03:24
  • GAFFER
Very few individuals own land in China, it all belongs to "the people". When you buy a property you actually lease the land. The lease term is determined by an agreement between the developer and the local government and can be anything from 40 - 70 years. As this is relatively new there is some uncertainty about what happens at expiry, but it is expected to be renewable.....(if the property is still standing). I believe you can buy in joint names if you have residency in China but there are some rules about foreigners only being allowed to buy one property (to limit foreign owned property speculation). Rules also vary from region to region. You need legal advice in the area you are considering purchase.
Jan 4, 2011 13:24
Hola, Elias, I am spanish too :)

Don't worry about. A retraitment pension of about 850 eur before taxes in Spain is not a great amount, as you know, I am sure. But enough for a simple but comfortable life out of the biggest cities in China. The problem of the real state prices is really important in China, too. But nothing compared with spanish problem, trust me. A good friend of mine has just bought an appartment in Jining and has paid just 60.000 eur. But maybe you can't get a loan there, think about.

You are about making real one of my sweetest dreams. Good luck.
Last edited by XIBANYAJAVIER: Jan 4, 2011 13:26
Jan 4, 2011 22:31
  • HERBEAT
Jining, wow, that's not far from my hometown at all. Nice but maybe a bit polluted... i think some small cities along the beach or in some mountains would be nicer... not talking about the tourist places though... Good luck anyway. And if you need any help, feel free to let us know:-)
Jan 6, 2011 00:38
Quote:

Originally Posted by HERBEAT

Jining, wow, that's not far from my hometown at all. Nice but maybe a bit polluted... i think some small cities along the beach or in some mountains would be nicer... not talking about the tourist places though... Good luck anyway. And if you need any help, feel free to let us know:-)

Oh, I don't like that city for living. They work there, he's a doctor in a hospital and she works in Komatsu factory. It's only as an example with two of my friends for showing the differences with Spain.
Post a Reply to: Planning to go to retire & live in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code