Menu
WHY WHY WHY 2 fingers
Jul 26, 2010 06:36
  • DAVEC
When I see Chinese and asians in general have their photo taken they always like to put up 2 fingers. Can somebody tell me why because everyone I ask gives me the same answer 'I dont know'.

I know the history from England, V for victory from Winston Churchill and even many years before that longbowmen used to wave 2 fingures at the French to show they still had them ( because if caught the French cut them off).

If I photograph friends I wont take it until they put their fingers away, it looks so stupid to me.
Whats the theory ?
Jul 26, 2010 20:22
Davec, I am sure that most of them don't know why they put up 2 fingers. They see others doing this and then they copy it. I don't like this pose either.

I am telling you a secret. I love taking photos but don't like taking photos of myself. Thus, I have few photos of myself. I am nervous and don't know where to put my hands. Thus, I usually put them into my pockets or just let my two arms hang on both sides.
Jul 27, 2010 01:59
  • RAINDROP
It is stupid really, but no one can tell you where they borrow this V to their life. Actually, girls may do this to be lovely. One of my foreign teacher once got us corrected when took photos.
Jul 28, 2010 03:59
GUESTEFD It's a signal of those born in 1990's.
Jul 28, 2010 22:05
  • CHERRY07
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUESTEFD

It's a signal of those born in 1990's.

Not at all. I have seen many guys in 70s and 80s also pose V when they take photos. Also I don't know why they yell "Yeah!".

As photographers, you must have many ways to make a person smile. Right, Davec? If you take some photos for a kid, you have to tease him and make him smile. Especially when you take photos for the groom and bride.
Jul 28, 2010 22:48
  • RAINDROP
[What? in 70s, I don't think people of that age would like to use this pose when take photos. Girls with that pose MAY BE lovely, but no boys, I prefer to gave a thumbs up instead.
Aug 1, 2010 11:11
  • CARLOS
Yea, Dave, it annoyes me too. My camera too doesn't click before the fingers are down.

Anyway, I found this from Wiki:

"The V sign is a hand gesture in which the first and second fingers are raised and parted, whilst the remaining fingers are clenched. With palm inwards, in the United Kingdom and some other English speaking countries, it is an obscene insulting gesture of defiance. During World War II, Winston Churchill popularized its use as a "Victory" sign (for V as in victory) initially with palm inwards and, later in the war, palm outwards. In the United States, with the palm outwards, and more recently inward, it is also used to mean "Peace", a meaning that became popular during the peace movement of the 1960s. In East Asia the gesture is commonly used with the palm outward, connoting positive meaning."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_sign

Carlos
Aug 1, 2010 12:25
  • DAVEC
So basically what you are saying Carlos is that all the hippies didnt disappear from the planet, they just moved to China
Aug 1, 2010 22:01
  • JIMMYB
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAINDROP

[What? in 70s, I don't think people of that age would like to use this pose when take photos. Girls with that pose MAY BE lovely, but no boys, I prefer to gave a thumbs up instead.

Actually, V sign has been used widely by people. Look at this photo. They are not born in 1990s but they still use V sign.

Aug 1, 2010 22:02
  • JIMMYB
One more.

Aug 1, 2010 22:03
  • JIMMYB
These two guys really made creative pose.

Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: WHY WHY WHY 2 fingers
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code