Menu
How can you avoid suffering from such unfair treatment?
Aug 3, 2010 02:44
A video of a HK tour guide scolding mainland tourists for spending little shopping has sparked a storm of public criticism.

The following is what she said:

"Spend more, you’ll be happier…don’t tell me you don’t need [to buy more], next you’ll be telling me you don’t need to eat at meal time,” the tour guide says aggressively to a crowded bus of Chinese tourists. “I will lock you out of your hotel rooms because you don’t need them [either].”

"It's okay for you to stay poor at home, but when you travel outside don't be like this. In this world there is no such thing as a free lunch?"

She goes on to talk about how the visitors found money for their airfares and then chides them: "We don't do this for charity. Let me be responsible for charity. I donated 10,500 yuan [HK$12,027] for Sichuan earthquake victims."

"For a group of 24 people you only just spent HK$13,000. How can you just walk out of the shop like that?"

She then points to shops offering top- quality goods, before adding: "Why did you bother to come to Hong Kong?"

It has been known that the tour guides in many places will bring the tourists into expensive stores to exchange for a cut of the sales. If the tourists don’t buy enough, the guides become very unfriendly.

In early of July, four people from Henan complained they were abandoned in Guangzhou after refusing to pay an extra HK$2,000 for not shopping in Hong Kong during a tour.

On May 22, a tourist from Hunan Province quarreled with a tour guide in Hong Kong on shopping issue. He was too angry and died of heart attack.

As a tourist, what can we do to avoid suffering from such unfair treatment?
Last edited by TRAVELINGINCHINA: Aug 3, 2010 02:44
Aug 4, 2010 03:08
That's why l hate joining group tours. Joining group tours have their advantages: you needn't worry about transportation and lodging issues. But you do sacrifice in exchange. You can not stay too long at a place because you have to consider other members. If you stay too long, other people will wait for you.

I prefer to travel alone though it is a bit annoying to arrange transportation and lodgings on my own. Sometimes, I get lost too. But this is not bad. This is real travel. When I get to a scenic spot, I can stay there as long as I like. Then I can take photos too.

Aug 4, 2010 21:42
  • KUNGFUPANDA
Lonely, most people just want to have fun during traveling. Joining a group tour is an easy way. You can not expect all the people travel like you. They don't want to be bothered to collect the info before starting their journey. Then they may take a risk.
Aug 8, 2010 01:10
  • CHERRY07
It is said that the tour guide who scolded the mainland tourists has been sacked and she can never be a tour guide anymore. She has paid a lot for her behavior.
Aug 8, 2010 07:41
  • CARLOS
I don't like group tours because they are planned to please everyone involved and that's why they give me so little.

When I was in Guilin I enjoyed LiJiang cruise but then we went to some monestery where people were "forced" to buy expensive insences to worship gods. I didn't buy because I make a big difference with money and religion. The guide didn't like it and she wanted me and my lao po to go back to the bus. Then we went to a shop selling all kinds of jade things. Many people did not buy and the guide and the people who did watched them like street dogs.

After that we went to see some 100 years old tree. I was so tired that I could not care less about the tree although after LiJiang it was the best thing.

Carlos
Aug 8, 2010 07:44
  • CARLOS
Oh, the tree was about 1000 years old. My keyboard is coming close to retirement and just now I feel the same about myself. Yesterday I gave my oldest daughter away and my brains have not recovered yet...

Carlos
Aug 8, 2010 22:23
If you don't buy things at the shops, they can't get money from the shops. Definitely, they are unhappy. Luckily, you didn't meet a tour guide like that crazy woman in HK. She must be very regretful. But it is too late.

Carlos, buy a new keyboard if your old one can't be fixed. Your oldest daughter got married?
Last edited by LONELYJOURNEY: Aug 8, 2010 22:24
Sep 6, 2010 02:47
  • ONMYWAY
Today I read that the tour guide's licence has been revoked and the travel agency who designated her as the tour guide has been fined 47500 HK dollars.

Good. Such a mean person shouldn't have been a tour guide.
Post a Reply to: How can you avoid suffering from such unfair treatment?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code