Menu
American English
Aug 3, 2010 08:00
  • DAVEC
This should open a can of worms.

I often hear people saying that they are learning American English, which personally I get very angry with and think its a lot of cra#.

Do we have Iceland English or African English or Australian English or even Mexican English ??? NO we just have English, what they are actually learning is American, that is reflected in the phrases and spelling.

Why dont people admit that they are learning American and Americans be proud they have their own language?
And yes, you guessed it, I am English, not British, English.
Aug 3, 2010 20:48
  • LARRYBOY
I can only guess,, that it might be because of the use of slang and dialect, tones used. All english speaking countries have their own styles in speaking. English is English but dialects are different.
Aug 3, 2010 21:20
  • ELLIOTT
That's right. I learnt American English when I was in College where most of our teachers speak American English. It is not that we prefer it, but have no choice to learn, except for listening to BBC news. In most occasions, we just be taught with CNN. Anyway, British and American English are different in many ways.
Aug 3, 2010 22:22
  • JIMMYB
I don't know what English I am speaking. My high school English teacher told me that it was no good to speak Mixed English( British English or American English). After I wetn to college, we listened to BBC and CNN and my teacher spoke mixed English too.

When I was a freshman, my oral English teacher was an American. She taught us to speak American English. I rememered that she once corrected my classmates to pronounce "history". When I was a sophomore, my oral English was an Irish. Then we learnt British English. Now I have no idea what English I am speaking.
Aug 7, 2010 17:34
  • OSMAN
Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVEC View Post

I often hear people saying that they are learning American English, which personally I get very angry with and think its a lot of cra#.

Do we have Iceland English or African English or Australian English or even Mexican English ??? NO we just have English, what they are actually learning is America...

YES, THERE ARE MANY TYPES OF ENGLISH.
ECPACIALLY ACCENT.AND WRITING.......

EVEN SOME WORDS ARE DIFFERENT CALLED
LIKE CANTONESE AND CHINESE.................................
Aug 8, 2010 07:18
  • CARLOS
A long time has passed since I was taught any kind of English. I think it was Thatcher-English ;=) Anyway, pronouncing was the key word then and because finnish is pronounced just like it is written, can quess that it was no easy to most of us. Nowadays kids are taught to speak and to understand spoken English more than taking care of pronouncing.

I once was involved with three English guys. They came from some smaller town near London. Although they understood me, I could not understand anything what they said. A girl from near Perth Australia could have sais anything without me understanding a complete sentence.Never had had same problem with people coming from countries where "American English" is spoken. I even understood English spoken by nine namibians.

My English is a mix from school, people I have met and movies. A few times i have been thought I was from Canada. Can't imagine why.

So, to me there are English English which contains Australia too, and American English which, to me, contains about any other English.

Carlos
Aug 10, 2010 15:13
  • ETHANINCHINA
Quote:

Originally Posted by OSMAN

YES, THERE ARE MANY TYPES OF ENGLISH.
ECPACIALLY ACCENT.AND WRITING.......

EVEN SOME WORDS ARE DIFFERENT CALLED
LIKE CANTONESE AND CHINESE.................................

Cantonese and Chinese are called differently becasue they are different. Chinese includes all the dialects and both Mandarin and Cantonese. Cantonese is just cantonese.
Aug 10, 2010 15:15
  • ETHANINCHINA
Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVEC View Post

Do we have Iceland English or African English or Australian English or even Mexican English ??? NO we just have English, what they are actually learning is America...

variants of English are still English. And yes there are many different kinds of English we just don't talk about them as much as British and American because those are the two education focuses on in non-English countries.
Aug 11, 2010 07:58
  • OSMAN
Quote:

Originally Posted by ETHANINCHINA

Cantonese and Chinese are called differently becasue they are different. Chinese includes all the dialects and both Mandarin and Cantonese. Cantonese is just cantonese.

I think chinese and contonese are the same as they are the same ethnic,
if you say like this it will be big mistake that crates 57th ethnic in china.....
Aug 13, 2010 06:58
  • ETHANINCHINA
Chinese is not an Ethnic group, it's a Nationality. Han is the Ethnic group of most Chinese.

Chinese is the language of China, much like English in the UK. And just like English in the UK different areas have different dialects. Like in the UK my Irish or Scottish speak Englihs so differently even a native speaker can't always understand. In China the same, so many dialects of Chinese, many more than English.
Aug 14, 2010 10:19
  • OSMAN
Quote:

Originally Posted by ETHANINCHINA View Post

Chinese is not an Ethnic group, it's a Nationality. Han is the Ethnic group of most Chinese.

Chinese is the language of China, much like English in the UK. And just like English in the UK different areas have different dialects. Like in the UK my Irish or Scottish speak Englihs so differently even a native speaker can't always understan...

Thank you very much, i am sorry to ask you so much quastions, I think you know more things about this,
I hope u never mind of asking you one more question again..................
If Great Han ethnic and Contonese people are same ethnic people, if yes why they speak very different languages, if not please make clearly answer ....
Thanks. because i am intersterd to learn contonese and about conton people.......maby this can help sth.....
Post a Reply to: American English
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code