Menu
Slow travelling Yunnan and Sichuan. Advice please
Aug 3, 2010 15:50
guest10245 Hi all

I'll be backpacking Yunnan and Sichuan by myself mid Oct - Nov for 5 weeks. I'm hoping I'll make friends whilst travelling. I would really appreciate any advice regarding my trip plans (whether any places are dangerous for a girl - I'm Vietnamese and am learning basic mandarin phrases and their answers but I won't be able to understand much). This is my first time in China and I'm really interested in natural beauty and traditional culture.

My trip:
Land and spend a few days in Shanghai

Fly to Lijiang
- Spend a couple of days wandering the old town
- Bicycle to Baisha see Jade Peak Monastery along the way
- Jade dragon mountain. I read somewhere that the cable car to it is closed till Nov?? :( I was also wondering does anyone actually go and see all three bases of the mountain? Or is that a waste of money? I wanted to hike around Yak Meadow but if that requires a bus then cable car then I will save my money
- Spend a few days hiking Tiger leaping gorge

Bus to Shangri La
- See Ganden Sumtseling Gompa
- Wander about the old town Square St
- Rent a bicycle, does anyone know if I have to bicycle far to see the natural beauty for free? I don’t want to pay to see Napa Lake because I read that once in there you have to hire a horse to get around.

Bus to Deqin
- Taxi to Feilai Si Y30, stay the night, watch the sun rise
- Bus to Mingyong glacier, wander the forest and meadow, hike to Lotus temple for fantastic views of the glacier framed by prayer flags.
- Trek to Yubeng waterfall: bus from Deqin to Xidang, hike 3km to a hotspring. Pony hire 25km (four – six hours?) to the mountain pass two-thirds of the way to Yubeng Villages then hike the rest of the way up, stay the night. Hike around the trails there.
I’m sorry if this is a stupid question but will I have to return the same way I came up? Because that is expensive. Also I don't know whether to see Miyong first or if I can trek to Yubeng then to Mingyong?

Backtrack to Lijiang then bus to Lugu Hu.
- Boat ride, bicycle around, join in the night festival

I'm now unsure how to get to Chengdu, whether to backtrack to Lijiang or what is another cheap and easy way?

Chengdu
- Incredibly cute pandas!
- Bus to Leshan then either hike Qincheng Shan or Emei Shan. Sleep on the mountain

Bus to Jiuzhaigou
- See the valley

Bus to Songpan
- Do a few days horse riding tour

Bus to Aba County
- Bicycle and explore the natural beauty

Then I suppose I will have to backtrack to Chengdu and fly back to Shanghai. Songpan and Aba I will only be able to do if I have the money.

I don’t know if I have ordered my places of interest in a logical sequence so any advice on my trip would be great and thank you so much in advance!!!
Aug 4, 2010 03:29
  • SUNNYDAY
I'm not familiar with those places, but i think you'd better find yourself a companion.
BTW, there is no direct train between Lugu Hu and Chengdu.
Last edited by SUNNYDAY: Aug 4, 2010 03:29
Post a Reply to: Slow travelling Yunnan and Sichuan. Advice please
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code