Menu
Thoughts on USA lemonade girl
Aug 15, 2010 01:55
  • CHERRY07
A seven years old girl in Oregon has become famous for selling lemonade. Last week at local arts fair, Julie started her lemonade business with the support of her mother. But Julie’s first business was not as successful as she expected. The local inspector asked to see their restaurant license. But they didn’t have one. Then the local inspector told them they would face a fine of 500 dollars if they didn’t stop selling lemonade.

Other venders urged them not to leave. A second inspector came and the two inspectors were surrounded by the crowd who support Julie and her mother.

Ultimately, Julie and her mother packed up the stand, and as Julie left the fair she was crying. But Julie has won finally. The local officials talked to them and apologized.

Reading this news, I have been thinking for a while about the differences between Chinese and American education. In the US, a seven year old girl already started her first business. But what do their Chinese counterparts do? They are just studying in Grade 1. At weekends, they join different kinds of training classes, learning match, piano, dancing, painting etc. Their time has already been arranged by their parents.

Parents attach great importance to their kid’s education. But they never know whether their kids like these things. The childhood is a busy time. If you ask their parents why they do these things, they will say other kids take such training classes. If their kids don’t attend these classes, they will fall behind their classmates.

If I had a kid in the future, I wouldn’t force him/her to spend his/her childhood in this way. I want him to develop in an all-around way. The scores won’t be the only criterion.
Aug 15, 2010 02:18
  • DAPHNEB
That is the difference. But nobody's hobby is widespread. If you want your child to be all-around, you put pressure on him.

I helped with my mom in our hotel when i was in primary school, i did part time job in holidays when I was in high school and I paid my own way through college. But honestly speaking, Chinese children are poor on independence.
Aug 16, 2010 01:03
  • GLOOMYSUNDAY
That is the difference between Chinese and American Education......
Aug 16, 2010 03:34
When I was 7, I was in grade 1 too. Luckily, my parents didn't force me to attend any training classes. After school, I just needed to finish my homework. Then I can go out and play with other little kids. Happy time.

You know what? I was doing my homework while my parents were watching TV programmes. In the winter, it was very cold. Thus, I sat on the brick bed to finish my homework. But I wasn't distracted by the TV programmes.

When I was in high school, my parents found a tutor for me to teach me math before the college entrance exams.
Aug 21, 2010 11:03
  • DAVEC
At 7 I was playing with cameras and kicking footballs
Aug 21, 2010 22:45
Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVEC

At 7 I was playing with cameras and kicking footballs

You played camera when you were seven? Really? Dave, you needn't go to school? This is difference.
Aug 22, 2010 03:59
  • DAPHNEB
obviously I was grade two in primary school, learn to spell my mom's name, ask her to tie red neckerchief for me, line up one after another agter school...

In my childhood, I never knew that there is money I can earn from doing something... Big difference about it.
Aug 29, 2010 07:42
  • CARLOS
A lot of noise is held about american school system and especially the universities. The truth is, I think, very different. Only a very small percent goes to university. From them who goes there only a very small percent are above the medium just like in any other country. The US education system is not so good that people often think. In fact most of the americans I have met have huge holes in their general knowledge and that, I suppose, is because tha education is quite thin there.

I think the main reason for people to think there is something great in the US school system can be found from all those tv-series. There all are people with a higher education.

It was McDonald who started his business by selling lemonade, was it? Or is it only a urban legend...

Carlos
Aug 29, 2010 21:29
  • GLOOMYSUNDAY
Oh, Carlos, Only a very small percent of Americans goes to Unv?/ really? How about the others?

In China, children have more burden on study, no matter what they like, they have take every courses up. Among my friends, they are all graduated from colleges, good or bad ones. But I can still find nothing good from this education system. Put into use waht we learn, it is seldom happen.
Post a Reply to: Thoughts on USA lemonade girl
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code