Menu
Cell phone service in China...
Aug 16, 2010 14:13
  • TEXAS80
I want to use my Blackberry 8900 in Hong Kong, Macau and Mainland China and was wondering what's the best way to get your phone prepared for use for overseas calling. Should I purchase a Chinese sim card or go through another route? I think that using my regular phone service will cost a lot of money but I'll also call them to see what their policy is.
Aug 16, 2010 20:11
  • JIMMYB
Texas80,

I suggest you buy Chinese sim card when you are in mainland China. It can save some money for you. Currently, the telecom operators in China uses one-way charge system, for example, China Mobile. My cellphone is equipped with China Mobile sim card. I receive the calls from my friend abroad and it costs me nothing. He pays the bill and I just chat with him.

If you use your cellphone to make overseas calls, make sure that your international call service open. To make overseas calls, you'd better buy some service packages or bind your cellphone with IP card. In this way, you won't pay much money to the telecom operators. You can buy the IP card at any China Mobile's business hall. If you don't know how to use it, just consult with the service staff.
Aug 18, 2010 02:57
  • TEXAS80
I plan to make overseas calls so I'll look at getting the IP card. Can these be purchased in Hong Kong since that's where I'll be staying first?
Aug 18, 2010 03:28
  • JIMMYB
I am not familiar with these things in HK. I googled and found out that there were IP cards. But you have to be very careful when buying a IP card. There are six mobile operators in HK: Hutchison, Sunday, Smartone, Peoples, CSL and New World Telecom. Please go to their branch offices for consultation. If you buy IP card in some very small shops, you might get ripped off. Do ask how the telecom operators charge fees.
Aug 18, 2010 04:15
  • ALOK
I also use chiness mobile and its working is best.Its battery timing and reception is best.Thanks to share
Aug 19, 2010 12:11
  • APAULT
Generally, Hong Kong business is separate from the mainland. This is certainly true for mobile phones. I doubt that a HK IP card will be valid on the mainland.
Feb 21, 2014 05:15
  • BALA91
Quote:

Originally Posted by TEXAS80 View Post

I want to use my Blackberry 8900 in Hong Kong, Macau and Mainland China and was wondering what's the best way to get your phone prepared for use for overseas calling. Should I purchase a Chinese sim card or go through another route? I think that using my regular phone service will cost a lot of money but I'll also call them to see what their policy is.

Better you to get a Chinese Sim card and put on your phone.
Before use your new Sim card,Make sure your phone is unlocked.If it's locked by particular network means,you will need to unlock your phone.For unlocking visit http://www.unlocking4u.com/blackberry-8900/rs6wp9/
Last edited by BALA91: Feb 21, 2014 05:16
Oct 13, 2014 10:20
GUEST46200 Yes, make sure your phone was unlocked before you purchase a local SIM card. There are three wireless carriers in China: China Mobile(GSM/TD-SCDMA/TD-LTE), China Unicom(GSM/WCDMA/TD-LTE/FDD-LTE), China Telecom(CDMA/TD-LTE/LTE-FDD)
Post a Reply to: Cell phone service in China...
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code