Menu
To live with no guilt, then how can I do?
Aug 16, 2010 23:14
guestCathy I feel sorry when I step on somebody’s foot, and sorry too if I harm anyone involuntarily. But I never think about I will fell guilty eating my lunch one day.

The restaurant in the London Pavilion prides itself on being carbon neutral, because the plates and chopsticks in it are edible. As I read a news today, in North Korea, people eat never waste food even share one dish when dine together. Now I feel guilty for many Chinese lavish money on various parties. I don’t know what low carbon is, but I know exactly that to waste is wrong.

Buffet meal is impossible at home because of Chinese tradition. And dining out is chief criminal, but many do not pack the left-overs for that may haggle over every trifle, especially for males. Then what do you think, do westerners the same about it?
Aug 17, 2010 01:39
  • ENID
It's considered rude if a group orders less than one dish per person, so better to order the dishes in accordance with heads and the amount per dish. I appreciate to take the left home, no bad impression i will have if men do the same, but careful instead.
Jul 19, 2011 20:25
When going out for a meal with friends the food is of secondary importance. It is the meeting of friends that should be the priority. Provided all present have enough good quality food to eat, relax and enjoy the company. The carbon-neutral thing is only a device to justify increases in taxes and prices 'to save the world from disaster'. Modern industry causes more harm to the world than if we leave a small amount of food on our plates. I agree excessive waste is bad but do not spoil your digestion by worrying about green credentials. Guilt is like a sack of bricks, you pick the sack up and carry it with you because 'it is expected of you'. Question is, who are you carrying the bricks for? As reasonable people we all know what is excessive and what is not. Make your own judgements on things, and do not feel the need to justify your choice. Enid, it is probably considered rude by the restaurant owners, but at the end of the day you and your guests know how much food is required for a nice meal. In St Ives in England the New China One restaurant served my mother and myself an "Emperors Banquet" meal because " you get lots of choice ". There were two very confused people looking at enough food for eight people. We put two tables together and invited people to join us for the meal which saved the food being wasted and we had a good evening making new friends. Our cheap night out cost 5 times what it should have. I am sorry if this is turning into a rant, but I get annoyed when people are made to feel guilty because they are enjoying themselves.

One question, would you eat food that fell on the tablecloth? Why would you eat an edible plate which has been standing on the same tablecloth? "I went out for a wonderful meal with friends, the edible plates were really tasty!" ;-)
Jul 21, 2011 03:15
  • JING86
I think as American we take forgranted alot of times the small these in life like food, water, eletricty. And so we don't treall think about it until we visit third world countries.

CNN did a report on starvation in Somalia. A father had to carry his starved son dead corpse to burry him. It defintly open ALOT of eyes among the American viewers.
Post a Reply to: To live with no guilt, then how can I do?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code