Menu
Chinese curry
Aug 17, 2010 11:01
  • DAVEC
In UK Chinese takeaways sell curry, it has warm flavour and slightly sweet, it is sold as 'Chinese curry'.

I know most western food that is sold as Chinese must have come from Southern China and HK area in the past as thats where most people who travelled west came from. But I cant find out where the curry comes from.
Traditionally China doesnt have curry and I have never found it on any restaurant menus.

Does anyone know its origin?
Aug 17, 2010 20:16
Dear Dave,

Why not show us a photo of "Chinese curry"? Or can you tell us its Chinese name?
Aug 18, 2010 04:19
  • ALOK
No i also want it preparation method ????
Aug 18, 2010 15:33
  • DAVEC
I cook it with a paste, mix the paste with hot water to make the sauce as thick as you require, add it to the already cooked meat and veg.

http://www.britishsweets.com.au/products/G00077.jpg this is a popular mix for making at home.

http://www.mydish.co.uk/interface/members/250576/200999192527356-636023-638990-913231.jpg and this is generally how it looks.
Aug 18, 2010 20:42
  • CHERRY07
Dave, I believe you know that Curry comes from India. But there is no curry powder or concentrated curry in India. Later, curry has been popular in Asia-Pacific region. You can find it in Singapore, Thailand, Japan, Taiwan etc.

I tried to search some materials about curry powder but didn't get too much info. Maybe, it has been improved by some countries.
Aug 18, 2010 22:46
  • DAVEC
Sure, curry is famous from Indian, and we have many Indian restauramt here. The taste of curry from there is very different to what we get in the Chinese restaurants.
I am just looking for the source of these, why would Chinese have it on the menu when it is not a dish from their country?

The most popular food on the menu is maybe 'chow mein' fried noodles plus the boring things like egg fried rice and sweet and sour.
Aug 19, 2010 02:16
  • CHERRY07
"I am just looking for the source of these, why would Chinese have it on the menu when it is not a dish from their country?"

I am confused too. As I said, Curry has been spread in many Asian countries. Also it has been improved. If you taste curry form these countries, you may find they are different.

In China, you can find some curry dishes, for example, curry beef. And some manufactures do produce curry powder too.

Post a Reply to: Chinese curry
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code