Menu
Longsheng & Rice Terrace scenes in early October - some questions
Aug 20, 2010 03:36
guest11922 Anyone know is the rice terrace scene in early October good ? Will it be muddy wet, freshly green or golden harvest ?

I am thinking of going to Guilin after Fenghuang, what is the minimum time required and how to see the best of the Rice Terraces ? I am not keen on the Wind & Rain Bridge or Sanjiang unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Thank you.
Aug 20, 2010 21:29
  • BAKUI
The best time to visit longsheng is late May- early June and late September-early October.
late september to early october is when the rice is fine, it should be golden harvest.

There is direct bus from Fenghuang Coach Station to Guilin every 0930. Duration time is about 7 hours.
Aug 21, 2010 01:35
  • DAVEC
I went to see the fields and can recommend to anyone, there are photos on my website if you care to look.
www.dcolman.com

I stayed in a local house, plain wooden bed for 40rmb per night for 2 people. Get up early and the views are awesome as the sun rises over the peaks.
Wind and rain bridge? its an interesting bridge but I found the village next to it far more interesting.

I dont think it matters when you visit, the whole area is very beautiful
Aug 21, 2010 01:45
  • DAVEC
This was early morning, can see my 'hotel' in the top right

Aug 24, 2010 06:32
  • CHANYKIN
Hi,

I will be arriving at Guilin airport next sunday morning at 9.00am. Understand that it is easier to visit the longsheng ricefields first before proceeding to guilin city for the night. Any one with experience of hiring a taxi from the airport to longshen, do a half day visit and then use the same taxi to guilin city...what is the price and is it save arrangement...can we trust the taxi driver with all our luggage (clothings only and nothing valuable? Doing this to save time and don't like to back track. Thanks.
Aug 24, 2010 10:19
  • JABAROOTOO
It really depends where you are going after Guilin and if you can negotiate with a driver. You may be better off having your hostel/hotel square up a deal to take you to Longsheng and back for the day. The airport is barely 30 mins outside Guilin. Not saving much going directly from the airport unless you are planning on going to Yangshuo which is over an hour away in the opposite direction.

However, you could arrange a car from Yangshuo to Longsheng which could drop you at the airport for your departure.

The area around the wind and rain bridge outside Sanjiang is stunning too and as Dave said the villages nearby are really interesting. If you are lucky you may even get to see villagers dying fabric as well. I haven't been to Longsheng but I've spent time in Sanjiang and the Zhuang and Miao villages and they get my vote for interest, scenery and terraces to boot. I don't feel like I missed too much. I've seen friends photos of Longsheng and they were unimpressive.

I'm guessing that you have read our travel reviews here on TCG. If not recommend that you do before you make a decision.

It's coming up to harvest time so you should get a mix of green and golds with some wet and some dry paddies.
Aug 25, 2010 15:46
  • CROSIS
When we visited in October most of the harvesting had been done, I do hope to go back and see it when all the terraces are filled with water and plants as I am sure it looks much more stunning in these conditions.
Post a Reply to: Longsheng & Rice Terrace scenes in early October - some questions
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code