Menu
Can i stay in the same room in a chinese hotel with my unmarried partner?
Mar 17, 2005 23:22
  • REDRUM78
Hello,

I have a chinese girlfriend and she has told me that it is not allowed for a couple to stay in the same room in a chinese hotel if they are not married. She is currently back in China and i was planning on visiting here. I was just wondering if she was right about the hotels and if this applies to all cities in China. I have heard that its not the rule in Hong Kong but i would also be travelling to other places in China such as Beijing, Shanghai etc.

Many thanks for any reply.

David
Mar 18, 2005 00:39
  • ELCABRON
Hi redrum!

Dont worry those days are over by now. In the past it was much stricter and I also heard stories like that. For example about a college student who got thrown out of university because she got pregnant before finishing studies and getting married. But this is the past. Today it is much more liberal.
There are no more restrictions for unmarried couples anymore!
Mar 18, 2005 20:19
  • DUNC
David,

Don't worry, only some hotels will be a bit funny, a)you are foreign and b) your partner is Chinese. I have the same problem sometimes but only with very small company hotels and private hostels. That rule is almost forgotten nowadays, enjoy your holidays!
Mar 18, 2005 20:29
  • REDRUM78
Hello Again,

Thank you both for your quick answers. I am now reassured and looking forward to my holiday in China. Now i just have to plan where to go in this vast country!

Thanks again

David
Mar 27, 2005 08:12
  • KODIAK
Then Again, David,
We have friends from Vancouver, a professional couple in their 40's, who visited China (Shanghai)last summer (2004), on their honeymoon and to meet her family. She's Chinese and he's a Canadian guilau. They were stopped at the desk of the 5 star hotel they'd made a reservation at, and not allowed into a room, until her (chinese) parents arrived to verify that the newlyweds were actually married.
This story worked to my advantage - as I used it with some effect to help convince my fiance' to marry me BEFORE our upcoming trip to Chengdu next month :-)
Have a great adventure ! //Mike
Mar 29, 2005 02:49
  • ELCABRON
Hello alltogether!

Maybe this can happen in some hidden backwater areas where they still believe Mao is in charge.

But in major places there are no problems anymore - I experienced this personally in Chongqing, Shanghai and Beijing ;-)))))
Mar 30, 2005 00:27
  • VIATURATI3
Hi, David. It totally depends on your luck. I'm a Chinese who has a Canadian bf. We've been travelling in China and didnt have any problems. On the other hand, once I tried to stay in the Youth Hostel in GZ with a chinese friend, boy of course, and was asked for marriage certificate, we were allowed to stay any ways.
To me it is really not sth to worry about, if they wont let you in, just go to the next one!
Mar 30, 2005 01:04
  • REDRUM78
Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your messages. I think i am beginning to build up a picture of what to expect in the hotels in China. I think it it possible for me to be asked for a marriage certificate but rare. Either way, i should be able to find a hotel that i can stay in with my girlfriend even if forbidden in some others.

Thanks again everyone.
Post a Reply to: Can i stay in the same room in a chinese hotel with my unmarried partner?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code