Menu
Moving to China, my options?
Aug 24, 2010 01:26
  • DAVEC
I have always wanted to move to China, to persue my photography and possibly open my own guesthouse.

My Chinese wife and me are still waiting on her UK visa (9 weeks and counting) as she wants to come to stay with me first for few years.

Thinking of the worse and they refuse her a visa, I will want to move to China to be with her ASAP, what are my options for visa?
If I go to China I will hope to stay forever, just coming back to UK for holidays sometimes.

Am I right in thinking I need D visa, how easy is it to stay given that I wouldnt have a job to go to just a wife.
Aug 24, 2010 03:20
  • NANCYMOON
Did you have noticed there is a latest news about it. You are qualified to apply for a long stay L visa and which can be changed to 'Resident' visa in your wife's local police; and also able to apply for a resident permit nalid for 1 year, for those over 60, they can apply one valid for 2 years. But with it, you can not work in China; I think, to run a guesthouse is OK. Here is where I saw this news: http://www.china-expats.com/Visas_NewRes.htm

Or if you want to work in China, you can also apply for a work visa, which will be longer according your work contract. D visa is not easy to be issued in this case anyway.
Aug 30, 2010 00:56
  • JONNO
Hello Dave,

China is a wonderful and contrary Country, and one that has brightened my life endlessly for the last 7 years or so. I have no wish to ever return to Blighty, and now have a Cantonese wife and baby + a new life, or so it would seem...

If you are serious about moving to China, or needing real advice, then drop by my website - the one Nancy Moon mentioned above actually (Quite bizarre), and contact me initially via the contact page - I can then email you directly and personally, giving you sound personal advice based upon my personal experiences, and those of others.
http://www.china-expats.com

Chinese people don't really understand what a guesthouse is, and whilst this could be great here (Canton), think about offering a basic 'youth hostel' type service also - it's a winner!

Otherwise you will need a very high speed camera here to capture all the interesting idiosyncrasies that are modern China. You are welcome.

best wishes
Jonno
Post a Reply to: Moving to China, my options?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code