Menu
Money management in China (cash, ATM's, debit card, etc...)
Aug 25, 2010 16:15
  • TEXAS80
I've noticed threads about dealing with money in certain cities in China but what about a person like me who will be all over? I don't want to carry too much cash but want to have enough. Also I do not want to be out of luck if I happen to lose my ATM/Visa card.

I'll be going to Hong Kong, Macau, Sanya, Haikou, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Guilin, Chongqing, Shanghai ands Beijing.

I was told not to use my ATM/Visa card to make purchases since people would have access to my account and can possibly withdraw whatever they want. So with that said, what is the best way to deal with money in the cities listed? I really only plan to buy food and a couple of souvenirs. I will fight the urge to but too much stuff I really don't need. :)

Thanks. :)
Aug 26, 2010 01:00
  • BAKUI
Quote:

Originally Posted by TEXAS80

I was told not to use my ATM/Visa card to make purchases since people would have access to my account and can possibly withdraw whatever they want.

Maybe it did happen, but seldom. I pay by my bank cards at supermarkets and shopping malls quite a lot and nothing wrong happened till now.
Last edited by BAKUI: Aug 26, 2010 01:02
Aug 28, 2010 22:37
  • JIMMYB
Anyway, please make sure that your card can be seen when you pay the bill, avoiding they change your card or playing some other tricks. If you use your credit card, please keep your last four digital numbers on the back of the card secret. If they get your card number and the four digital numbers, they can use your card to consume.
Post a Reply to: Money management in China (cash, ATM's, debit card, etc...)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code