Menu
Should I give a present to my kid’s teacher?
Aug 31, 2010 02:30
guestMengmeng Teachers’ Day is coming! It falls on September 10. Like many other Chinese parents, I am struggling about whether I should give a present to my kids’ teachers.

When I was young, I just made a pretty card and sent it to my teacher. Now, things have changed. Hand-made cards are outdated. Something valuable is very popular, like high-price skincare.

My colleagues advise me to send a present to my kid’s teacher. If all other parents send presents, you should send a present too. If you don’t, the teacher might not treat your kid very well.

Should I give a present to my kid’s teacher?

Sep 1, 2010 21:03
  • ONMYWAY
It sounds like that the parents are trying to bribe the teacher with "presents". Sending gifts is normal. Some parents just want to say "thank you for taking care of my kids". But some other parents have some other purposes. Some teachers become smart too. They don't ask for the presents from the parents but they won't refuse the parents if they send special presents.
Sep 7, 2010 22:00
  • CHARLOTT
It is a problem. How about abolishing Teachers’ Day? Then all parents will be freed. They needn't rack their brains to prepare a present for their kids' teachers.

This festival has changed. We should salute to our teachers but I don't think it is right for the teachers to take bribes from the parents.
Sep 8, 2010 04:06
GUESTFIONA Ministry of Education released a notice about it on their website like this: No gift on teacher's day. it seems they attach importance to this gift issue.
Sep 8, 2010 04:13
  • CHARLOTT
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUESTFIONA

Ministry of Education released a notice about it on their website like this: No gift on teacher's day. it seems they attach importance to this gift issue.

Notice is useless unless it says "all teachers who take gifts from the kids' parents will be fired once they are discovered."'

Then the teachers might stop taking presents from the parents.
Sep 8, 2010 23:07
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHARLOTT

Notice is useless unless it says "all teachers who take gifts from the kids' parents will be fired once they are discovered."'

Then the teachers might stop taking presents from the parents.

Charlott, Beijing has taken your advice, haha.

Some schools have issued similar regulation: the teachers who take gifts from the students’ parents will be fired. The gifts include money, fruits, tea, shopping cards etc. Besides, teachers who accept banquet invitations from the parents will be fired too.

A school once fired a teacher who took a box of milk from a parent last year.
Post a Reply to: Should I give a present to my kid’s teacher?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code